Small Scale Cask Ale (1/2 Gallon)? Growler with Modified Cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
I would really like to try to make some cask ales but would like to do it on a scale that is works for me. In my opinion 1/2 gallon (4 pints) would be a perfect size, it could be opened and consumed over 2 or 3 nights with no issues. From the reading I have done it appears that casks are usually consumed over 3 days.

The half gallons would allow you to put 3 or 4 in a small dorm fridge and keep them at a cellar temperature without taking up a lot of space. I know that some people use the gallon cubes but 8 pints over 3 days could be a bit much for some and might not fit as well in a small fridge?

Any thoughts on how this might be done? I think it would be cool to have a "cellar" with 3 or 4 beers available as cask or real ale.

Perhaps a polypin / cubitainer would be safer than trying to carb up a growler. They even collapse as you empty them, so it might help keep it carbonated and away from O2.

Probably is the best idea....I wonder if you could fill them half full?

Probably is the best idea....I wonder if you could fill them half full?

I've been thinking of doing this with cider, but it seems like if you carbonated it, the CO2 would leave solution, fill up the collapsed space and leave your drink flat. I think this would be less of an issue with cider than beer. I'm strongly considering trying it, though. Much cheaper than a keg and much easier than a billion bottles.

I just started a thread about this - I'm wondering about re-using some Rogue Brewery growlers, but they come with a screw-cap. I think I'm going to risk it on one next bottling day. You can also get flip-top growlers that are good for carbing, but they're a bit pricey - seeing how you live in a dorm, probably more than you want to spend.
Northern Brewer has liter flip tops for a decent price - you can bottle in those.

I just started a thread about this - I'm wondering about re-using some Rogue Brewery growlers, but they come with a screw-cap. I think I'm going to risk it on one next bottling day. You can also get flip-top growlers that are good for carbing, but they're a bit pricey - seeing how you live in a dorm, probably more than you want to spend.
Northern Brewer has liter flip tops for a decent price - you can bottle in those.

If you used flip top bottles I am not sure how you would serve the beer? If you were wanting to serve a true cask beer I think it should be gravity or pump fed after it is allowed to settle for a few days.

Mike

Latest posts

Back