Small quantities of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchriswright

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am just getting into home brewing and I'm interested in brewing very small (1-gallon) batches at a time. It seems that using a full pack of yeast (typically pitched into 5 gallons) is overkill, and I'm wondering if there are such things as prepackaged yeast in very small quantities. I was told that I can use a whole pack in my 1 gallon jar, but I'd like to either use smaller quantities or at least make the full package of yeast last for multiple batches. I assume that once a packet of yeast is opened, it must be used immediately. Am I right? I wish there was a way to store leftover yeast for future use. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Chris

McKBrew, thanks for the reply. Those links are VERY helpful. I think I might give this a shot, especially since I do not need special equipment to make the starters.

I'm still open for suggestions if anyone else would like to chime in.

Chris

Once the yeast is opened (assuming dry) it's life span decreases, but very slowly. I'm still on my first pound of distiller yeast after 3 years and it's still active, just have to use a little more.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned with the other ingredients in a 1 gallon batch. Extracts don't come sized for 1 gallon batches and and you don't sound like you are ready for an all grain batch.

You will never regret brewing up a 5 gallon batch which is the standard. It's only 2 "cases" of beer and even if you are a very slow drinker it will get better with age.

JM 0.02$

I do agree with HSM, 1G batches are not much, especially when you factor in losses from sediment and any dry hopping you might use.

At a minimum consider 2.5G batches.

Back