Small batch yeast amount

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Louz

Reaction score
I'm gonna brew a small 2 gallon batch this week. I thought I'd make a starter as usual like I would for 5 gal, chill it, decant then measure out 40% by weight to pitch into the 2 gallons. Is that a solid plan? What do I do with the rest? Jar it and put it in the fridge?

Steveruch

Reaction score
I'm gonna brew a small 2 gallon batch this week. I thought I'd make a starter as usual like I would for 5 gal, chill it, decant then measure out 40% by weight to pitch into the 2 gallons. Is that a solid plan? What do I do with the rest? Jar it and put it in the fridge?
What o g? Unless it's really high a starter for two gallons is a waste of time.

OP
Louz

Louz

Reaction score
Pitch it all, too little is a bad thing, too much is not an issue.
Really? I would think using all of it would not be ideal. Also I'm probably gonna brew a few of these small batches. So if I can save some for future brews that would be cool.

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I make 2 to 2.5G batches and with liquid yeast always make starters, pitching about half. I think saving the rest in a refrigerated mason jar is a good idea, but so far I've been too lazy to do so.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
Really? I would think using all of it would not be ideal. Also I'm probably gonna brew a few of these small batches. So if I can save some for future brews that would be cool.

Future brews are not an issue. Save the slurry from the fermentation to use again.