Small Batch Yeast Amount

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kevinjtee

Reaction score
Hello,

If I am making a batch that is less than 5 gallons, should I be pitching less than a full vile of yeast into the primary?

If so, how do I calculate/measure the correct amount to pitch?

Thanks,
Kevin

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well since for pretty much any 5 gallon batch of beer above 1.020 in Mr Malty a starter is a great idea, when I do a 2.5 gallon or smaller batch of beer, I don't bother with making a starter and pitch the whole tube or smack pack in.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
OK that makes sense. Is it possible to OVER pitch?
The overpitching discussion is a debate that never truly will ever be resolved. There's as many opinions on that as there are brewers. Personally I think it takes a lot of yeast to truly reach the amount where 'overpitching" is detrimental to a beer. And I tend to side with those who believe that it's better to have too much yeast than not enough.

So to me doubling the amount for a small batch isn't really an issue. It easier than trying to not ruin the other half of the tube/smack pack. I just pitch it, and then harvest the yeast later.

If it's dry though, I have no qualms about just pitching half a pack. I then fold the packet over and tape it shut and store it in the fridge. Then either I'll pitch it for another small batch, or I will add it to a boil as yeast energizer.