Small batch Staggered nutrient additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Ive got 2 one gallon mead batches nearing time to do the first racking. Ive read in the Mead FAQ that staggered nutrient additions may be something to consider. Now, once again im new to all this so Im asking if this is a good idea for my small batches and if it is how much and when is this supposed to be done?

:mug:

A staggered nutrient addition protocol may be used on any batch size as the reasons for it are independent upon batch volume. Yet, the addition amounts are dependent upon batch volume - the reference volume (5 gal) is noted in the FAQ.

However, as your batch is at the point where it is ready to be racked it is most likely past the last addition point where any more nutrients should be added. The FAQ does identify the 3 stages where the additions should be made... ;)

A staggered nutrient addition protocol may be used on any batch size as the reasons for it are independent upon batch volume. Yet, the addition amounts are dependent upon batch volume - the reference volume (5 gal) is noted in the FAQ.

However, as your batch is at the point where it is ready to be racked it is most likely past the last addition point where any more nutrients should be added. The FAQ does identify the 3 stages where the additions should be made... ;)

Thanks hightest! Ill look into it when I do my 5 gallon batch next month! Dont be surprised if im back in here asking for details!

:)

A staggered nutrient addition protocol may be used on any batch size

do you know...or have you seen any relationship to the effectiveness of SNA dependant on batch size....as in....is is more effective overall on a larger batch than a small one?

I have got to get on the ball and give this some of my attention.

do you know...or have you seen any relationship to the effectiveness of SNA dependant on batch size....as in....is is more effective overall on a larger batch than a small one?
I have not specifically evaluated the SNA effectiveness on batch sizes smaller than 5-6 gallons. However, I see no reason why it should not perform any differently with smaller batches.

The basis for my position is founded by the reasons why supplemental nutrients are needed for honey fermentation. The lack of nutrients provided by the honey, nor its poor buffering capabilities, are unrelated to the amount of honey used.

As such (IMO), the effectiveness of employing a SNA protocol should be independent upon batch size.

I have not specifically evaluated the SNA effectiveness on batch sizes smaller than 5-6 gallons. However, I see no reason why it should not perform any differently with smaller batches.

The basis for my position is founded by the reasons why supplemental nutrients are needed for honey fermentation. The lack of nutrients provided by the honey, nor its poor buffering capabilities, are unrelated to the amount of honey used.

As such (IMO), the effectiveness of employing a SNA protocol should be independent upon batch size.

So if I understand correctly, then there are no hard and set amounts to be used for one gallon batches even though the addition of extra nutrients should be a good thing? How can we go about determining a new protocol to be set down for smaller batches?

ruger12pk - Really I don't see any reason for this. Really set specific gravity, set yeast population, SG by YP, = X amount of nutrients to maximize the yeast production.
Personally, I have had more luck with the adding of extra honey than a staggered nutrient feeding schedule. But that is due to time and effort restrictions in measuring the PH, and actually adding the nutrients when its required. (Hey, I'm lazy, or just too busy working, depending on your priorities.)
---
Hey have to say:
"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”
And for the ass-h.... they remove from my presences. :)

So if I understand correctly, then there are no hard and set amounts to be used for one gallon batches even though the addition of extra nutrients should be a good thing?
I don't believe that is what I said. What I was trying to point-out was that the reason for a SNA was not dependent on batch size. However, the amounts added will depend on batch size - a simple ratio of proprotions. Those initial amounts were established to add specific quantities of YAN to the must at the yeast life cycle stages where it would do the most good.

For example, if 5 grams are to be used for a 5 gallon batch, then 1 gram should be used for a 1 gallon batch: 5/5 = x/1, where x is 1. All amounts should be ratioed to batch size. My calculator spreadsheet automatically performs this calculation.

ruger12pk - Really I don't see any reason for this...
Here, and on other brewing forums, my advocation of employing a staggered NAS has been met with various degrees of reluctance, doubt, and replies such as "it takes too much effort" or "it's too much trouble".

Although I have been advocating these methods since 2003, some brewers have effectively considered them to be unnecessary or too demanding, to follow. During the past seven years, people like Ken Schramm, Drs. Clayton Cone & Kris England have supported the need for the use of staggered nutrients, and in some cases have even developed their own variation.

While it is a personal choice whether one adopts the practice, you have to ask yourself why known leaders in home are brewing now using SNAs. There must be some benefit to it. The fact is there is, and each time a new brewer thanks me for introducing them to SNAs, I am pleased that I was able to help... :)

Please note that this comment is not intended to be a personal attack; as everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yet, I feel there is the need to show that the use of SNAs is beneficial and not some empty notion. To illustrate this point, I refer you to: Honey Otimization (Ken Schramm, Nov/Dec 2005 -Zymurgy, pgs 21-25). Note that this article was written 2 years following my introduction of this practice to the mead community on the BrewBoard.

Here, and on other brewing forums, my advocation of employing a staggered NAS has been met with various degrees of reluctance, doubt, and replies such as "it takes too much effort" or "it's too much trouble".

Although I have been advocating these methods since 2003, some brewers have effectively considered them to be unnecessary or too demanding, to follow. During the past seven years, people like Ken Schramm, Drs. Clayton Cone & Kris England have supported the need for the use of staggered nutrients, and in some cases have even developed their own variation.

While it is a personal choice whether one adopts the practice, you have to ask yourself why known leaders in home are brewing now using SNAs. There must be some benefit to it. The fact is there is, and each time a new brewer thanks me for introducing them to SNAs, I am pleased that I was able to help... :)

Please note that this comment is not intended to be a personal attack; as everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yet, I feel there is the need to show that the use of SNAs is beneficial and not some empty notion. To illustrate this point, I refer you to: Honey Otimization (Ken Schramm, Nov/Dec 2005 -Zymurgy, pgs 21-25). Note that this article was written 2 years following my introduction of this practice to the mead community on the BrewBoard.

Oh! I thank you for your input...I knew nothing of the practice until now...Its my opinion that knowledge is power. If it helps me create a better mead then count me in! Im just math poor but I follow directions nicely...If I had a definite schedule and amount Id give it a go...if it is shown to be harmless and indeed beneficial then Im game! Either way, thats why we discuss things in here...in fact thats the reason im here...to learn! And I am! Thank you all! Dont worry Ill be back with many more dumb questions later...im sure...LOL

:tank:

I just read your BREWBOARD post Hightest, very informative indeed! I made a copy for reference. I also saw a post from a gentleman who was bubbling his mead using pure O2!.......This might be a new thread im thinking as Id like to hear the whys and hows of that technique!

:mug:

Yeast need oxygen upfront to aid in reproduction and growth. Many people accomplish this by aerating or stirring the must for the first few days of fermentation. Pumping pure o2 through an aeration stone is the most efficient way of doing it. Once the bulk of the fermentation is complete and is less vigorous then aeration becomes a bad thing because it can cause oxidation.

Oh! I thank you for your input...I knew nothing of the practice until now...Its my opinion that knowledge is power. ... Im just math poor but I follow directions nicely...If I had a definite schedule and amount Id give it a go...
Thank you! I appreciate your willingness to at least entertain the notion, as opposed to those who would simply discount it. While that is their right, it disturbs me when they attempt to publically influence others who might benefit from it...

Regarding your being math challenged, I would suggest you d/l my mead spreadsheet (Excel). It is designed to be a 'plug & chug' calculator that does the work for you. Look at it, try a simple example like 14 pounds of honey & water to make a 5 gal batch. Then if you have more questions, start a new topic (How to use the....) and we can discuss the details there. ;)

...I also saw a post from a gentleman who was bubbling his mead using pure O2!.......This might be a new thread im thinking as Id like to hear the whys and hows of that technique!
I typically diffuse pure oxygen into my meads higher gravity whose OG is near (or above) 1.130.

I can definitely attest to the benefits of Hightest's mead calculator. I got it a while ago when he posted it on another forum and I use it for everything. If nothing else I can get estimates for meads, wines, and ciders if you use it a bit creatively.

Hightest, I was in no way attempting to discredit or liable the process. I can say with my one use of it, it works. My problem is really just when I think I have the time to do it right, I end up being away from home for a couple of days or more.
Even then the process works very well and fermentation is much faster than the normal (just wait) method.
As I stated in another thread, I'm still learning the process and have made some "mistakes" also with it that you have helped me work through. I'll be updating that thread this weekend, hopefully that I reached the target SG to rack to secondary and finally forget about it while it clears.
Once again, thank you for your help and very informative post. :mug:

Back