Small batch...less than 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBlood

Reaction score
I'm wanting try my hand at brewing my 1st beer but I'm not sure I want to start off with a full 5 gallons. Is there any problem in taking a recipe or kit and reducing to make a 1/2 batch. I havent decided on a style of beer yet so I dont even have a recipe yet. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

If you are going to go through the work you might as well do a partial boil full batch. More bubbly goodness for your effort. Just follow the recipe for topping off with water at the end.

I just hate to brew a full 5 gallons and not like it or make some mistake and it be undrinkable. I guess I'll just rack it up to the learning curve if I do screw up and if its good then I'll be glad I took your advise.

In my experience, it is almost impossible to ruin a batch of beer, and typically the only way you can really ruin it is by doing bad math and adding really wrong ratios of ingredients. Also, 5 gallons is not going to last as long as you might think. 2.5 gallons would go even quicker.

NewBlood said:
I just hate to brew a full 5 gallons and not like it or make some mistake and it be undrinkable. I guess I'll just rack it up to the learning curve if I do screw up and if its good then I'll be glad I took your advise.
If you do your research and follow the procedure, you will have 5 gallons of very good beer! Just make sure you choose a beer you like. :mug:

make a style of beer that you like. for example, I like Newcastle Brown Ale, so I did a little research to determine what style it is, and then looked for recipes.

I cannot stand Pale Ale's, so I avoid recipes with high IBU's. Amber Ales are about as hoppy as I can take.

You could always go with something simple like a Kolsch or a blonde ale, which are very mild mannered beers.

home brewed beer, when done right, cannot be distinguished from commercial beer, both microbrews or the big BMC types, although most won't brew BMC cuz its cheaper to buy that swill at the store.

Make a nice brown ale or hefe they are nearly impossible to make undrinkable. Then hide your credit cards, you have been warned.

*edit* change 'of' to 'or' dang fingers.

Joker said:
Make a nice brown ale of hefe they are nearly impossible to make undrinkable. Then hide your credit cards, you have been warned.

Do you have a good starter recipe you'd like to share with me you know works? Well I should say that I can make....:)

Brewer's Best has an extract kit with some steeping grains for Brown Ale, that's pretty good. Its very mellow, and was a big hit when I took a keg to a small family gathering. I think 6 people were drinking and I poured about 15-16 pints among non-hardcore beer drinkers.

let me see if I have the recipe handy...nope that's the one my dog got ahold of so I couldn't scan it.

I'd describe it as a less hoppy Newcastle.

If you are going to make the effort, you might as well do a full five gallons. The amount of effort isnt going to be much difference.

Back