Small batch grain/ hop quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwalker94

Reaction score
So i've done a few extract and grain kits and would like to start creating my own recipe. i'd like to start simple with a basic IPA, and have been trying to figure out the quantities of grains for an 11 litre (roughly 2.5 gallon) batch?

I was thinking of using mainly maris otter, crystal, and pilsner malt, but am completely open to suggestions.

Any advice on the best types and quantities for the hops would be appreciated as well, alot of the recipes ive been looking at have a long list of different hops and im trying to keep everything as basic as possible for my first attempt.

Thanks in advance :)

I second that. Just half a regular 5.5 gallon recipe and you're golden.

I also recommend playing around with the recipe calculator on the Brewer's Friend website. For a simple IPA with crystal, you'll want something like 95% of your Maris Otter or Pils plus 5% crystal, and an OG of about 1.060. If you want to lighten it up a bit, you can sub in 5% table sugar for some of your base malt.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator
For an 11L batch, the amounts might look something like this:

90% or 2.25 kg Base malt (MO, Pils)
5% or 0.125 kg Crystal 40
5% or 0.125 kg Table sugar.

Hop amounts can vary depending on if you want heavy or moderate flavor and aroma.

Last edited:
I second that. Just half a regular 5.5 gallon recipe and you're golden.

I also recommend playing around with the recipe calculator on the Brewer's Friend website. For a simple IPA with crystal, you'll want something like 95% of your Maris Otter or Pils plus 5% crystal, and an OG of about 1.060. If you want to lighten it up a bit, you can sub in 5% table sugar for some of your base malt.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator
For an 11L batch, the amounts might look something like this:

90% or 2.25 kg Base malt (MO, Pils)
5% or 0.125 kg Crystal 40
5% or 0.125 kg Table sugar.

Hop amounts can vary depending on if you want heavy or moderate flavor and aroma.

^^This is a great combination.^^

If you want simpler you could just do the Maris Otter 100%. It's got enough depth of flavor to be good on its own.

If you want to go super simple with the hops just pick one you like and use that. Any mid to high AA hop will work well.

I love centennial, it's the only hop in Bells Two Hearted Ale which happens to be one of my favorites. I love it so much I bought a centennial rhizome.

Back