Small batch fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
I usually do 5 gallon batched of beer, mainly partial mash recipes, but have started the all grain process on a smaller scale in one gallon jugs. I like this method as it allows me to play with ingredients and not have 2 cases of a beer that may turn out mediocre. Currently I use a one gallon glass jug to ferment these test batches but wanted something a little bigger. The Mr. Beer 2 gallon jugs look interesting and I was wondering if you bottle right from the spigot in the fermentor or if you have to transfer it first to a bottling bucket to get it off the yeast? If you can bottle from the jug, I may get one. Also, to the people who use them, are they a good alternative to glass jugs? Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

You can bottle directly from the fermentor. Mixing in the priming solution gets a bit tricky. When I use my MBK, I bring it up to where I will be bottling and gently stir in my priming solution. I then allow it to sit for 2 to 3 hours for any of the yeast cake I stirred up to resettle before bottling.

So once the yeast settles back down, you don't get too much sucked into the bottles? Also, do you lose much beer when it hits the bottom or is it designed well enough to avoid that? Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to get something that ends up not working out.

The Mr Beer Keg is designed to hold the yeast below the level of the valve. The only times when I have found it to be a problem is when I have bumped the keg when filling on a high gravity brew that had a lot of trub.

Thanks for the help. I just purchased one.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back