Small amount of iso in my carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL41R

Reaction score
My brew partner jammed the blow off tube onto the airlock, in order to make a blow off tube. (we didn't have the big tube)

While doing this he cracked the airlock plastic.. so when it was time to remove the tube and place the actual airlock on the carboy, it was broken.

Problem is i didnt know this.
A small amount of isopropyl leaked into my carboy. Less than 1oz. It's a 6 gallon batch FWIW.

I know its probably okay just posting to get an opinion.
(i know to use vodka, i didnt have any)

Isopropyl alcohol in your airlock?
This leaked into your beer?
Isopropyl alcohol is poisonous when ingested, google it.
Dude I've read to use starsan or vodka or whatever in the airlock. I use 3 piece air locks and tap water and have never had an infected batch.
If you're using the S type airlock and temp fluctuations might lead to the drawing in of the fluid in the airlock I'd definitely advise vodka.
If you're using a 3 piece, I simply sanitize, insert the airlock, place the cap over the stem and add enough water to float the cap.
As far as drinking isopropyl alcohol, I wouldn't advise it, it is poisonous

I was hoping you'd say its a negligible amount...

Any other opinions? bottling this weekend, unless i should dump this batch

Bottle you will be fine. It is a very small amount in six gallons. Iso is much less toxic than methanol and that is a by product of fermentation. I would switch to vodka in the future.

"In untreated animals, the median lethal dose lies between 4 and 8 g/kg. Many sources mistakenly estimate the lethal dose to be 250 mL in humans (eg, less than 400 mL of a 70 percent solution). It is important to recognize that, with supportive treatment alone, adults and children have survived much larger ingestions."

"Around 15 g of isopropyl alcohol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated. However, it is not nearly as toxic as methanol or ethylene glycol."

Back of the napkin math
Human: 70kg
Density of Isopropyl: .78g/cm3

Your spilled volume was 1 oz @ %70 or .7(30ml)*.78= 16 grams

This can be seen as a toxic level at this concentration, but not lethal to animals our size.

*Note: this is also only if you consume all of the beer at once.

A dose may be lethal at 8oz. Some have survived doses as large as 18oz. You lost approx 1oz in a 6 gallon batch. I think you'll be okay.

Back