Small amount of chlorine sanitiser suckback in 1 gallon batch

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Peppers16

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2012
Messages
205
Reaction score
7
Location
Nottingham
Hi, I'm sorry; I know that you will have been asked this a thousand times before but most of the posts I came across involved no-rinse sanitisers (starsan, iodophor and the like) so just wanted some advice before I revert to a RDWHAHB state.

Being the foolish noob that I am, I accidentally caused a bit of suck-back on some chlorine-based sanitiser (I know I should have used vodka or tap water... Now I know why) into a 5 litre (just over 1 gallon) batch of ginger beer. It was about a 3rd of the contents of a very small 3 piece airlock, and the solution itself was made up with no more than a quarter of a teaspoon in excess water.

I'm guessing even in a smaller batch this shouldn't be a problem after a week of fermentation, but as the instructions state the usual "harmful if swallowed, seek medical advice" I thought I should check.
The instructions also say chlorine gas will be released if it contacts acid, and I've got 4 lemons of juice in there. Will this sort things out do you think?
 

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Nov 11, 2011
Messages
4,161
Reaction score
486
Location
Wilmington
Just monitor the fermentation, as long as the chlorine hasn't killed the yeast, everything else SHOULD be ok. Personally, I keep bleach away from my brewery/winery.
 
OP
Peppers16

Peppers16

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2012
Messages
205
Reaction score
7
Location
Nottingham
Yeah, sadly I'm still waiting for a UK site to stock star-san and am making do with the chlorine-based stuff that came with my kit in the mean time. This is only my second brew so despite a lot of reading I'm still making rookie errors :-(
 
Top