Smackpack ruptured on the outside...use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan_L

Reaction score
Smacked my yeast for a starter for Monday morning's brewing and the outside package burst. It ruptured close to the bottom, about 1/2" long along the seam. Spewed yeast all over but only lost maybe a teaspoon worth. The package was not sanitized and the spot where it ruptured was in direct contact with my hand when I did it (also just came in from working on the car and even though my hands were thoroughly washed i'm sure they weren't brewday clean) Not sure if anything got sucked back in afterwards as I rotated the package. No one (without driving an hour each way) is open before Monday to get a replacement.

What are the realistic chances of infection here? My first instinct is to scrap it and wait another week to brew but is that being needlessly cautious?

FWIW, if you are making a starter there's no need at all to smack it. Prepare the starter wort, shake the packet well to get the yeast mixed up, cut it open and pour it in. Then, remove the inside nutrient pack, and cut that open and add it. No muss, no fuss.

If anything, i'm still in the habit of doing it to ensure that the yeast is alive...even though it's probably very rare to get a bad package.

Yeah its fine, my sanitation isnt near what some people on here talk about and ive never had any issues. Especially yeast, i think is a lot more resilient than people give credit.

Back