Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought I broke the little pack inside an American 1056 yeast pack, BUT I didn't. Shoot. Well I pitched the yeast slurry inside. What do you Brewers think, will it be alright? Plus I have to ferment high 70 or so because my basement is so warm right now. I don't like where this brew is going already....

Not smacking it will be fine. It'll have a longer lag time and be a little more stressed but oh well.

That temp though...

That's what I figured... The coldest I can get on temp is 68(if I'm lucky). I didn't think it got so warm in my basement in the summer. I have the ac going in the house right now to try and help it out.

It's funny that I can be miserable in the heat and will not turn on the AC, but when it comes to my yeast!!

I love brewing!

In all honesty, you could use the swamp cooler method and knock down 5 degrees pretty easy.

The pack that didn't get smacked, is just nutrient. Not terrible it didn't break,but you could have cut it open and added to to fermentor.

Adding a fan to a simple swamp cooler, to increase the evaporation rate, can drop fermenting temp up to 10°F for most average gravity fermentations.

It's all good! Ended up getting it down to at least 69. So hopefully I will see it kick off soon.

I didn't think about putting the pack in the fermenter. Is it just simple sugars and free amino nitrogen? What's in this pack?

What gravity was the beer recipe? You should look into making starters so that you are pitching the optimum cell counts. I second (or third) the use of a swamp cooler.

Latest posts

Back