@#$&*%! smack pack...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug

Reaction score
Hi folks...
I'm going to pitch my second brew this evening, so I decided to activate the wyeast smack pack that came with my kit. It took me quite a few tries, but I think I finally popped that little interior packet. When I place the packet by my ear, it sounds like it's fizzing...does it sound like I successfully ruptured it?

Thanks,
Annette

you can feel the little bubble inside the packet. Place the pack on the table and hit it like you would a fly. feel the bag and make sure the little bubble is broke.

The fizzing is probably activity from the yeast gobbling up the sugars/nutrients in the little packet. I bet you got it. If you want to make sure, here's how I do it:

Find the little activator packet and push it to the corner of the smack pack. Lay the smack pack in your hand, with the corner containing the activator close to the center of your palm. Smack the living crap out of it with your other hand. 100% success.

God, what a weird experience! I can't feel it any more, woosterhoot, so I guess I got the darned thing already, lol. The table worked, but trying to break it in the palm of my hand did not, so that's good to know for the future. Thanks! :mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
Find the little activator packet and push it to the corner of the smack pack. Lay the smack pack in your hand, with the corner containing the activator close to the center of your palm. Smack the living crap out of it with your other hand. 100% success.

LOL! I didn't think I'd have to use that much force, but yep...I sure did! I was afraid I'd smack yeasty goo all over the kitchen. Thanks, Yuri_Rage.:)

A good way to open these puppies is to "wring" them out like a wet towel. I've found this cracks the inside pack very easily. I then shake the hell outta them and leave on my counter for about 12 hours..

gonzoflick said:
A good way to open these puppies is to "wring" them out like a wet towel. I've found this cracks the inside pack very easily. I then shake the hell outta them and leave on my counter for about 12 hours..

Good to know. I'll admit I was getting rather leery about smack packs, but the beer is fermenting like crazy as we speak. In fact, the krausen is getting much higher than with my previous (first attempt) batch in which I used Nottingham's yeast. I'll keep an eye on it. I might have to yank the air lock and stopper and replace them with a blow off hose. My first beer was an amber ale , this one is a kolsch golden ale. The air lock has this constant bubbling going on, where my first beer had a bubble every second or so at it's peak. From the description on the box, this beer didn't sound like one of those "big" beers that blows off foam like crazy. We'll see...:)

Ive made close to 20 batches now and I have yet to have a "blow out". I used blowoff tubes in my first few batches just in case but never did the krausen rise above the top of the carboy. Ive switched just straight airlocks now. If I brew a crazy big beer I might change tactics though...

Back