Smack Pack Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
I took my Wyeast 1098 directly out of the fridge last night and broke the smack pack and put it on counter. This morning, the pack is only partially inflated. My intention was to make a starter this morning, but I realized I did not have any DME.

A couple of questions:
1) Should I have let the package come to room temperature before smacking?
2) I'm brewing an IPA with OG of 1.065, I'm worried that I might have damaged the yeast and it won't reach my FG of 1.017.

Should I scrap this one and go out and buy a dry yeast pack (can't get another liquid yeast on saturday here)?

Is it likely there is nothing wrong at all and I'm just being a paranoid newbie? :drunk:

1. Yes, or close to it. It won't harm the yeast by smacking it when it is cold, they just won't start cranking away right off the bat.
2. I would make a starter for that batch. If you can't make a starter before you brew, you can always put the smacked pack back in the fridge until you are ready to make a starter. If you do that, let it warm up first, then pitch it in your starter.

So do you think shouldn't use this pack and go out and buy two nottingham yeasts since that's what is available to be today? I'm brewing today so I would need to find something local?

If you are brewing today, you should probably get some dry yeast.

At 1.065, you are right on the border line of needing a starter. If you don't mind some extra esters, and can control your temp, you should be fine with just the pack though. I do it all the time on beers close to 1.065. Anything over, I use a starter or anything I want real clean. You will get increased esters from the yeast having to multiply more and a slower start to fermentation.

Shake it up and see what happens. I had a pack that was semi inflated, i shook it like a salt shaker and it expanded quite rapidly. I dont know if the nutrients werent evenly dispersed or what.

I would still use the smack pack, why waste it. Just ferment on the cool side of the range...

I picked up two packs of nottingham. Can I use both? The wyeast 1098 and the nottingham put into the same wort??

Back