Smack Pack Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
I have 2 smack packs that have been out of the fridge for since about 2 pm and are nice and bloated. I was planning on making starters with both, but got called away by an emergency. It's now 12:15 am and would love to put off making the starters until morning. So, the question is, what do I do with the 2 packs? Should I just let them sit out over night, or should I stick them in the fridge and take them out in the morning?

This just recently happened to me... I left my smack pack out overnight and made a starter with it the next morning. Everything looked fine the following day so I pitched and fermentation is going strong.

Although I can't say if this is a safe practice or not... Just that it worked for me.

Nice. First hand experience. Just what I was looking for. I figured it'd be fine either way, but wanted some reassurance. Thanks. With any luck I'll have these suckers eating starter wort by 8 or 9 am. 18 hours out of the fridge should be fine.

Doesnt it say on the packs something about letting them sit for twenty four hours it optimal? i have no clue if it does but for some reason i have a feeling there is something similar to that on there.

I seem to remember the smack packs I used on my first couple batches back in 2003 said something about 24 hours. I don't even know who the manufacturer was. They just came in the kits. I switched to White Labs at the suggestion of the guy I learned to brew from, and just started using Wyeast this year. Not even sure why. I think I like their website better :)

Yea, I love the Wyeast website. I pretty much use their yeast style/strain guides any time I'm choosing yeast for a recipe... Sometimes I even use it to choose a grain and hop type haha...

Back