smack pack came smacked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
Just received my order and the yeast pack is swollen up to about 85%. From my experience this means the smack pack inside is broken. How long can the yeast sit like this before I use it? Should I just contact the supplier and request new yeast be shipped free of charge?

Worst case Id think the yeast go dormant... so, it is still useable, just like any liquid yeast.

The advice from Wyeast is to put it in the refrigerator (like any other smack pack) until you are ready to use it. Warm it to room temp before pitching into a starter or beer.

Worst case scenario: it's been like that for a while. The pressure inside is somewhat significant. Would the yeast quality be less-than-desired due to the built up pressure exerted on them?

No. Pressure is only a factor when the yeast are active (ie, you don't want a lot of pressure in the carboy).

quote from the wyeast faq:
If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.

You don't need new yeast. If you are worried, make a starter. What is the date of manufacture? I've used an 8 month old pack (with a starter of course).

Back