Smack pack & bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiana

Reaction score
So I just got a shipment from Hoptech and I had one concern. the Wyeast I got was surrounded by cool packs but when it arrived they were all kinda warm, it's in the fridge now and isn't doing anything but chill, just wanted to make sure that it was still pitchable (quell my fears even though I'm pretty sure it's okay).

My second question is about the length of time I should let my bottles set at room temp. A HB oldie told me that I'm leaving them out too long (I have about 6 more of my first brew that's probably been sitting for about 2-3 months), and wanted some input as far as bottle storage temp. They're in my closest so there's no chance of light getting to them, but will there be adverse effects because they're at room temp?

thanks

-K

make a starter and you won't have to worry about that smack pack...it's the only way to really know if you have viable yeast.

your bottles are fine. ideally, you would want to move them to cellar temperatures after a month or so for aging, but as long as you're not above 80 all the time, they should be fine.

i don't have the luxury of a cellar or storage fridge here in oakland, i'm going to be burying some of my beers...we'll see how that goes.

If you have any doubts about your yeast, make a starter (which is a good idea, anyhow).

It's an open question about keeping your bottles out. Some say it will allow them to condition more quickly. Others say they will degrade faster. I guess both are correct, and it depends on what you have in those bottles. If you have a good, stable beer without an oxidation problem, two or three months won't hurt. Two or three months probably won't hurt, in any case, actually. If you don't have a place to put those bottles, then don't sweat it. You'll know if they are any good when you drink them.

TL

Can I cut open the pack and use that yeast to make a starter or do I have to get more? This is the first time I bought wyeast and I'm not sure how to use all that ish, I used dehydrated before.... thanks.

Follow up about the bottles too: Which is preferable at this time for these bottles (or any time really...), a fridge or a dark closet at an aprox average temp of 72 F?

John Palmer has a very good in depth explainaton on making a liquid yeast starter.

howtobrew.com - yeast starter

I think he goes into a whole lot of detail and precautions that might not be completely necessary. I've gotten away with making a starter the day before I brewed.

Kiana said:
Can I cut open the pack and use that yeast to make a starter or do I have to get more? This is the first time I bought wyeast and I'm not sure how to use all that ish, I used dehydrated before.... thanks.

Follow up about the bottles too: Which is preferable at this time for these bottles (or any time really...), a fridge or a dark closet at an aprox average temp of 72 F?
smack it, let it bulge and get to room temperature and you can use it to make your starter.

dark closet at 72 is fine...that's exactly how i keep mine. you should throw some in the fridge a few days before you drink them, tho, and it's fine for storing them for a while, too, but not for conditioning

When bottling conditioning, keep them at room temperature for a couple weeks or so. After that, you can move them to a refrigerator if you want to.

TL

Back