Slower N Christmas fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitecgmblr

Reaction score
Its a wonder ive been this patient this long. On June 10th, I brewed 10g of a Kolsch. I mashed at 152, fly sparged at 170. SG was 1.049, pretty much right on what beer smith called for. I have my room temp in the brew room set at 67 and it is staying steady at that temp. Used two smack packs of kolsch 2565. On friday the 6th, i checked, it was down to 1.018, im shooting for 1.010. Today i checked and its 1.016. Lots of "carbonation". Beer tasted good, but why is it taking so damn long!!!!!!

15lbs 2 row
1 biscuit
1 caramunich
1 flaked corn
1 flaked rice

That yeast is slow, but not that slow...no way it's not done by now. Did you spin the hydrometer to release the bubbles? They have a way of propping it up.

Also probably ~50% underpitch. Good aeration at least?

Yes, i spun it and did everything except hold it down to get it to read lower.

I did the usual pour and shake aeration.

How many smack packs should be used for 10 gallons?

Check out yeastcalc.com

It's all about cell count. Each smack pack contains ~100 billion cells (less if older). So you had ~200 billion cells max, probably more like 175.

For a 10g batch at 1.049 you need ~350 billion cells.

So that's either 3.5 smack packs, or just get one and step up your culture via starter - a far more economical option.

It's not a matter of waiting longer - when they're done, they're done. You could try pitching more at high krausen (they need to be active to have a chance), but you may be at FG already. 1.016 isn't terrible. What were your fermentation temps?

Back