Slow yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tireater

Banned
Reaction score
I am using White labs Cal. Ale yeast WLP001...It took 20 hours to see any bubbles...Now 2 a minute...
When I use dry yeast I get bubbles in 5 hours...but last time I used this yeast, it was slow too...
I am not worried as it is my 15th batch and I see some yeast movement now...Just wondering...
I always feel a little anxious until I see steady bubbles...
Current batch..Vinnies blind Pig from Morebeer...10 lbs of extract, 1 lb steeping grain and 7 1/2 oz of hops for $32...Not bad...
I guess I will have to figure out how to make yeast starters...

BargainFittings

Vendor / Owner
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
The big difference in lag is the total cell count. Pitching a tube or smack pack is not even close to the cell count on the dry yeast packets (11 gram ones)

A starter is easier than it sounds. Even without a stir plate you can get good growth by swirling the yeast every time you pass the starter vessel.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

I made them in clean/sanitized 2 liter bottles before I got a stir plate.

Boodlemania

Reaction score
I use WLP001 on several brews and, as with any liquid yeast, a starter is the way to go.

For example, made a variant of BeirMuncher's Centennial Blonde (AG) last weekend using WLP001. Made a 1L starter 48 hrs prior to pitching and had airlock activity within 1-2 hrs. Essentially, by the time I washed and put away all my brewing stuff, the airlock was going.

OP
OP
tireater

tireater

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys...I will get a couple 2l bottles soon and try my first starter...