Slow wort transfer to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have two BIAB brews under my belt and with both of them the wort transfer from the kettle to the primary has all but stopped after about three gallons. I did not have this problem with the same equipment when doing extracts.....

It's an 8 gallon kettle with 1/2" ball valve, 1/2" tee with O2 stone, and a 8-10" bazooka tube. I have always transfered the wort by gravity with no issues. I use a whirflock tablet and the wort does not appear to be exorbitantly thicker than normal.

I have verified that there is no blockage and my LBHS seems to think that it may be a back pressure problem. My kettle sits about 3" above the primary when it is transfered.

Is it possible that if the transfer tubing is at the bottom of the primary, that as it fills, the back pressure in the primary could stop the wort flow?

George

George, I often have the same problem when transferring to my bottling bucket. Liquid only runs when there is sufficient "air behind it", so here is a simple fix: lift the hose above the liquid in your primary, wait until the air has gotten through and proceed like normal once again. The difference of 3" will only slow the racking, not prevent it.
I would think you have more trub now than before when you were using extracts, and the combination of the two, causes low flow. My bottling bucket is 3 feet lower than my primary is, and it still happens.

Yeah.. you will have more break material which could clog your bazooka screen. You might want to consider removing it.

Latest posts

Back