Slow to start fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdweil

Reaction score
I am having some trouble with a cider I attempted to make. Here's the run down,
Day 1: boil 5 gallons apple cider and 16oz honey with some spices. Cool to 72. Pitch liquid yeast.
Day 2: see a slight crack in the carboy and siphon cider to a new fermenter.
Day 4: nothing happening

Do I need more patience or is something else going on?

Thanks for the help!

Why, oh why, do people insist on boiling cider? Is it a beer brewing culture thing?

Anyways, it may be your yeast. I have never had luck with liquid yeast.

Could also be a leak between your carboy neck and your bung.

Also, what did your hydrometer tell you for a starting gravity reading? What is the current gravity reading?

Why, oh why, do people insist on boiling cider? Is it a beer brewing culture thing?

Anyways, it may be your yeast. I have never had luck with liquid yeast.

Could also be a leak between your carboy neck and your bung.

Also, what did your hydrometer tell you for a starting gravity reading? What is the current gravity reading?

Yes its so funny all the people who start off brewing beer think they can't produce alcohol without boiling something. They are making the whole process way more difficult than it needs to be.

What temp is your carboy sitting at?

What yeast did you pitch?

When you siphoned to the new fermenter was there any trub in the bottom of the original fermenter? If so did you pull all of it into the new fermenter?

I agree with the previous poster that your hydrometer is your friend here. Take a reading and then wait a few days and take another. Bubbling air locks, or lack of bubbles, is not the best way to judge if fermentation is happening.

Did you add a nutrient? Cider has little nutrients so you may need a kick start. I add Fermax and S04 and get fermentation within an hour or two. The S04 also doesn't need to be rehydrated so it's super simple.

maybe the cider unpasteurized? hence the boil? But typically yes i agree...no need.

maybe the cider unpasteurized? hence the boil? But typically yes i agree...no need.

There is also no need for a yeast starter but you'll know in 6-8 hours if your yeast and juice is good if u use one.

Back