Slow Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Oyarsa

Reaction score
I have a homemade keezer that has been working fine for me with 3 taps. A couple weeks ago I tapped a new keg of Zombie Dust clone. It is currently the only keg in the keezer. I applied CO2 to the beverage out to force keg at 30 PSI. Unfortunately, we left on a lengthy trip the next day and I forgot to lower the pressure. I had also taken the time to clean the keezer and unplugged it. So, the keg was at 30 PSI at around 74 degrees for about a week and a half.

When I got home, I purged the keg, shook it, left it over night, purged, shook some more, etc. I plugged the keezer in and swapped the CO2 to the gas in. In the meantime I cleaned the tap I was going to use. I put everything back together and a tiny bit of beer came out, but then nothing. Thinking maybe the dip tube was clogged, I tried lots of things to clear a clog (putting the gas back on the beverage out, high PSI, etc). That did not work. I would maybe get a good amount at first for just a second, but then it would stop entirely. So, I opened the keg and attached a floating dip tube (first time using one). That still did not work. I thought the tap might be the problem, so I switched to another tap, and still nothing.

I then thought maybe the beverage out ball lock might be the problem, so I swapped it with one from another keg. Now, the beer comrd out at a trickle, but at least comes out. This tap had a long tube going to the tap, so I tried one with a shorter tube and a different ball lock disconnect. It came out well at first, but then returned to a trickle. The beer is still somewhat warm, but tastes good and is not over-carbonated, at least. I just can't figure out why the beer is trickling out. I do have Intertap flow control faucets, but I've tried adjusting the flow and all I can get is a trickle.

So, I've tried different taps, different lengths of tube, different disconnects, different ball locks, and a floating dip tube as opposed to a regular dip tube. I definitely have CO2 going into the keg as I can purge it and it refills with CO2. Any thoughts? Maybe the fact that it is warm has something to do with it, though I can't see how?

day_trippr

Structural Duct Tape Sales Engineer
Reaction score
It isn't clear whether you removed the Out post for inspection and cleaning. If you didn't do that yet, I'd do it now :)
Otherwise...somewhere there's a clog. Swap everything, end to end, and eventually you'll figure it out...

Cheers!

OP
OP
O

Oyarsa

Reaction score
Day_trippr, I did remove the out post and swapped it with another out post. That is when the tap started to at least allow a trickle. I tried upping the pressure to see what would happen. Now, it has changed to just spurting out gas and foam. This is now using a floating dip tube. Perhaps the end is not properly submerged?

OP
OP
O

Oyarsa

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what cured the trickle, but I opened the keg again (my poor Zombie Dust is probably nicely oxidized now) and added washers to the floating dip tube. Now, it pours quite well.