Slow regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumulusHead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my kegerator from a single tap to a double tap. With that I bought a dual pressure regulator off CL so I can carb two diff types of beer.

I've been having troubles getting my system balanced and I think it may be due to one of the regulators. Here is my problem:

I have two kegs being dispensed. One from each of the regulators. I have them both set to 11 psi which has carbed both of the beers perfectly.

The issue is that one of the regulators seems to be a bit slower than the other as far as how fast it lets the co2 out. This is in turn giving me dispense rate issues.

The "slower" regulator has about 4 feet of beer tubing. I actually like the flow rate I get from it, fairly slow but it doesn't blast the co2 out of solution.

The "normal" (maybe possibly "fast"???) regulator has ten feet of beer tubing and it just blasts the beer out of the tap.

The "slower" regulator really does seem slow. I mostly notice this when I fill a keg with beer than purge the headspace it seems a lot slower than my old single regulator. It also takes a bit longer for the pressure to build up in the keg to seal the lid. But none the less it carbs the beer just fine. I suspect it takes a few days longer tho.

So really I guess I just want to make the faster tap slower. But I don't want to just keep adding line at this point because it bothers me that both regualtors don't act the same.

Anybody experience anything like this before?

Would it happen to have anything to do with my taps and or shank nipples? I think my shanks are the same length. If they aren't the same length could this affect pressure? Also would different shank nipple types affect pressures?

I have two different faucets. They are both perlicks. I don't know the numbers. I both the first one about 18 months ago. I love it and I wanted to by the same one this time but apparently they don't make them anymore? So my second faucet must be the newest perlick. They are both silver (ss?).

That about covers everything that I think could be the problem. I just am trying to get both taps pour at the same rate.

Sent from myPhone

Swap the beer lines between the kegs and see what happens. I'm betting the 10' line is wider ID than the short line and that's muddling the issue.

A first-pour for sure can be accomplished just with the gas in the keg head space, so I doubt your issues are related to the regulator...

Cheers!

Shoot I forgot to mention this.

I swapped the beer lines and tried a pour from the keg that was on the slow line. When hooked up to the fast regulator it came out a lot faster then when it was on the slow regulator.

Both lines are 3/16 ID PVC.

So I'm now to the point thinking it's either the regulator or the perlick taps really are that different?

Sent from myPhone

That's a good point on the first pour being accomplished by the head space. I never thought of that!

So that rules out the regulator then.

Something to do with either the different faucet or different nipples on the shanks. Not sure if them nips are diff tho even.

I think the shanks might be an inch I'm length possibly.

Sent from myPhone

Back