Slow Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Bunn

Reaction score
First time home brewing. I have done several gallons of wine, so I thought I new what I was doing. Started my first kit, had wort ready for fermentation. Dropped in the yeast and 8 hours later I have bubbles. My concern is I only had action for about 24 hours. Is this normal??

I bet you're still having "action" in the chamber just not enough to see bubbles in the airlock. You might even have air escaping from somewhere else. The most rigorous part is definitely the first 24-72 hours but give it more time. Patience is the hardest part.

First time home brewing. I have done several gallons of wine, so I thought I new what I was doing. Started my first kit, had wort ready for fermentation. Dropped in the yeast and 8 hours later I have bubbles. My concern is I only had action for about 24 hours. Is this normal??
Thanks for the support. I've been shuffling around the net and alot of people say the same. The directions do not talk about the fermentation process very well. Just give it about 10 to 14 day and it will be ready to transfer and bottle.

Give it 2 weeks.
What was the kit? If it's dark, or higher gravity, give it 3 weeks.
Walk away. Contemplate the universe from a blade of grass's point of view.

Give it 2 weeks.
What was the kit? If it's dark, or higher gravity, give it 3 weeks.
Walk away. Contemplate the universe from a blade of grass's point of view.
Amber Ale. Came with the kit wife gave me for Christmas. Pretty excited. Dont remember the gravity off the top of my head but do have it written down. It was very close to the expected according to directions.

I guess my point was to let it sit longer if it is > 1.050-1.055 OG as the stronger grav beers take a little time to blend flavor nicely.

I guess my point was to let it sit longer if it is > 1.050-1.055 OG as the stronger grav beers take a little time to blend flavor nicely.
I'll post the OG when I get back home. Out for the evening. Thanks for all the responses, makes me feel a little better.

Back