Slow fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpalkar

Reaction score
I brewed a 50/50 Hefeweizen with Lallemand's Munich Classic. It didn't ferment for around 48 hours. I pitched more yeast to see if anything happens. The fermentation started the next day but it's been very slow. Today is day 3 since the fermentation kicked off. The krausen is still there, infact it has become denser and thicker. I've never seen this happen. Is it fermenting slowly or is it a case of stuck fermentation or is it infected or something else?

If you have a krausen, its not stuck and its fermenting. Three days is nothing as far as fermenting time. Take a reading when the krausen drops which could be two or as much three weeks.

I brewed a 50/50 Hefeweizen with Lallemand's Munich Classic. It didn't ferment for around 48 hours. I pitched more yeast to see if anything happens. The fermentation started the next day but it's been very slow. Today is day 3 since the fermentation kicked off. The krausen is still there, infact it has become denser and thicker. I've never seen this happen. Is it fermenting slowly or is it a case of stuck fermentation or is it infected or something else?

If you judge this fermentation against any other, this will be different. They all are. As long as you have krausen the yeast are working. It's not stuck, just slow.

Back