Slow Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWright_VT

Reaction score
2 weeks ago, I started two one gallon batches of cider and they are still showing airlock activity.

They are in 1 gallon carboys, and started as a gallon of unfiltered, pasteurized cider with no preservatives. I added 8 ounces of dextrose and then 4.5 grams (1/2 of a packet) of Brewers Best Ciderhouse Select yeast was pitched directly into each one at approximately 70 degrees and shaken. Then transferred to my basement to ferment at about 60 degrees, within the range published on the yeast. I thought with that much yeast I would have seen rapid fermentation.

O.G. Was about 1.060. I haven't taken any gravity readings since then since it is a small trial batch.

I'm thinking about raising the fermenter temperature to around 68 to try to get it to finish. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

I believe its mainly best to have higher temps during cell replication which is over in 3 days or less generally. So I am not sure it matters at this point.

Thanks, I'm just used to beer where my fermentation was complete in a week at the most. I may try bumping the temp up to around 64 to see if it picks up any.

I did test it tonight and it was at 1.030, so it is progressing along.

Thanks

Thanks, I'm just used to beer where my fermentation was complete in a week at the most. I may try bumping the temp up to around 64 to see if it picks up any.

I did test it tonight and it was at 1.030, so it is progressing along.

Thanks

Generally speaking it takes 2 weeks for cider to ferment. So its likely that something went wrong.

Fermentation time is a function of temperature and yeast. My current batch took 3 weeks to go from 1.050 to 1.010 when I racked to secondary. Now after 2 more weeks it's 1.002 and still bubbling. This is with S-04 yeast at 65°F. Last summer I made a batch that went from 1.050 to 0.996 in 3 weeks. That was with Nottingham at 74-75°. I'm hoping that the slower / cooler ferment will pay off in flavor.

Thanks Maylar, I put one gallon in my swamp cooler and bumped it up to 66 degrees. Activity seemed to pick up a bit, I'll see how it goes compared to the one at 60 degrees for comparison.

Fermentation time is a function of temperature and yeast. My current batch took 3 weeks to go from 1.050 to 1.010 when I racked to secondary. Now after 2 more weeks it's 1.002 and still bubbling. This is with S-04 yeast at 65°F. Last summer I made a batch that went from 1.050 to 0.996 in 3 weeks. That was with Nottingham at 74-75°. I'm hoping that the slower / cooler ferment will pay off in flavor.

I only use Wine yeast and dislike Nottingham. Wine yeast is faster and better suited for cider. You would think a "cider" yeast would be along the same lines.

I only use Wine yeast and dislike Nottingham. Wine yeast is faster and better suited for cider. You would think a "cider" yeast would be along the same lines.

I'll grant you that wine yeasts are faster than ale yeasts. But whether they're better suited for cider is debatable. If you like 'em dry and thin, wine yeast works well. Ale yeasts tend to leave more apple flavor, and I think that's why they're so popular around here.

Disagree with some of the info above. Fermentation speed is NOT just a function of temperature and yeast. It is also a function of how nutrient-rich your juice is (particularly nitrogen).

In case you're interested, the most widely respected cider-making handbooks tell us that a slow fermentation is optimal. For example:

https://books.google.com/books?id=v...G4Cw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=slow&f=false

... so maybe there's nothing to worry about?

Disagree with some of the info above. Fermentation speed is NOT just a function of temperature and yeast. It is also a function of how nutrient-rich your juice is (particularly nitrogen).

In case you're interested, the most widely respected cider-making handbooks tell us that a slow fermentation is optimal. For example:

https://books.google.com/books?id=v...G4Cw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=slow&f=false

... so maybe there's nothing to worry about?

Thanks for that. I get my raw materials from the same local orchard all year long, but there could very well be a difference in what apples were pressed over the course of a season. Maybe that has as much of an effect on time as the temperature. I wonder if maybe it's appropriate to use more yeast nutrient for late season apples?

I think that slow fermentation using lower nutrients is considered better in general. Cider house yeast has some nutrients, but it was slower than EC-1118 (with nutrients) for instance. I started a batch 25 Jan at 1.050, racked to secondary at 1.004 on 8 Feb, which was probably earlier than necessary but I wanted to start another batch! It's still bubbling slowly today, clearing a bit, most of the time was from 62F to 68F.

Back