Slow Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbloader

Reaction score
I am quiickly approaching the 72 hour mark on a Brewers Best European bock batch and no fermentation yet. The temp has been a steady 65 degrees.

I dry pitched the Nottingham that came with the kit and all I have available to repitch with is Safale 05, and it is only about a half pack due to using it on a Mr. Beer kit. Should I wait until tomorrow (won't be able to repitch until afternoon...or maybe 4pm) or would it be alright to repitch with the before I go to bed?

I am clearing a place in the fridge for more yeast pack tomorrow. Sometimes learning sucks.

By no fermentation do you mean it's still at the same gravity as when you pitched, or you've not seen anything that looks like fermentation?

I'd wait until at least 72 hours and then take a gravity reading and then consider if you need to pitch again.

Gravity is the same. I think my yeast was dead, and by saying that I am approaching 72 hours I mean in like 1 hour. I finished this brew at about midnight on Sunday.

I guess the main question is whether it is something that can wait until tomorrow evening. This is the second time I have used Notty. The last time the thing started up around the 65 hour mark. I must not be treating the Notty right. My Safale04 has always started within 18 hours. :confused:

When i ptiched the wort was at 55-60 degrees. I got it colder than I wanted.

O.G.= 1.064 (1.066-1.068 expected)

Probably a bad yeast. Get a new package of Nottingham and pitch tomorrow. Re-hydrate if possible. It helps to get it going faster.
This is when your care for sanitizing pays off.

Thanks for the quick response. I hope that I sanitized as well as I think I did.

Is there anything I should expect, taste-wise, from the beer due to the long fermentation?

Thanks again. I appreciate the quick replies.

Back