Slow fermentation of Wyeast 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darylwoodman

Reaction score
Has anyone had any slow fermentation experience with 1056?

Here are the basics: I mashed at 149F and added 1 package of 1056 grown in a 1L starter for 24hrs (with stir plate). The final yeast count at pitch was 140 billion. I pitched at 70F, and fermented for 10 days at 66F and increased to 68F for 4 more days. I went to add my dry hops at 15 days, and the krausen has not fully dropped, and I have a few stray bubbles in my blow-off jar. The brew is very cloudy, but tastes just as I designed the recipe. This is the first time I've used this strain and I have never had anything run this long. I'm not concerned, but was wondering if this is par for the course.

Looking forward to getting this bad boy in the keg this weekend.

Thanks in advance-

Yup, I've had similar results with that strain at those temps also. It can show signs of still fermenting for over 3 weeks easily if the O.G. is up there. I figured it was just because it is a little cooler in my store room where I ferment during the winter months. Fermentation will be quicker as temps get to 70 and a little above! Still makes a very good beer when it ferments longer at lower temps though :drunk:

Did everything work out in the end? I've currently got a stuck IPA OG 1.064 day12 1.026 that was sitting at 63F, yesterday increased to 72F to see what happens.

I've read that Wyeast needs a little help any time your OG gets over 1.060. Either time or more yeast makes the difference.
Of course, I rarely have gravities above that threshold, so I really don't know how true this is.

Seeing some action at 70F. Dropped to 1.024. Leaving it now till the end of the week

I have a Russian Imperial Stout fermenting along for 5 weeks right now and I use 1056 for it every time I brew that recipe. It's still showing a bubble in the air lock about once every 1 1/2 minutes. The O.G. on this particular recipe was 1.096! I should probably mention that I always make a starter, big starter, when I brew this recipe. Definitely feel that over pitching works and highly recommend it ( ;

Back