slots or holes for mash tun manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrg42

Reaction score
made a manifold out of cpvc and am debating what type of openings to cut in to it. Any difference or preference out there?

I guess it does not matter as long as it gets the job done, but wanted to check out some other opinions. Will be batch sparging if that makes a difference.

I have slots on my cpvc manifold. I batch sparge and get 75 +/- 2 % efficiency. I've had only one partially stuck sparge after 2 years and ~30 batches. Go slots.

I used a potra-band saw to cut my slits. I used 1/2" copper and cut my slits about 1/2" apart. I cut too many slits in the other one I have in my 100qt Extreme. If you cut too many slits you will have trouble clearing your wort. Started with a braid and moved to the manifold. I like it much better and have never even came close to a stuck sparge.

Put that thing in the recycling bin and go get a braided hose. Then you don't have to contemplate holes or slots and you don't have to cut or drill.

Lustreking Brewing
braidclamped.jpg

I drilled holes in my copper manifold with the Bridgeport CNC Mill at work. Just programmed a line of holes and rotated the piece of copper after each pass.

it was a bit of work by the time I deburred the thing, but it's been very good so far.

I have a copper manifold with slots I made using a dremel. I'm very happy with the slots, I spaced them about 1/2" apart and also get 78% +/- 2% efficiency. Never had a stuck sparge or clarity issues.

I just made my manifold from 1/2" copper. They are on ~0.4" interval, and going trough the middle of pipe:

p6230280fy.jpg

I beleve the choice to be more based on what you have the tools to do easier. Ie. Don't do holes with a hand drill, but if you have a drill press I would not use a hack saw to cut slots....

I drilled holes in my copper manifold with the Bridgeport CNC Mill at work. Just programmed a line of holes and rotated the piece of copper after each pass.

it was a bit of work by the time I deburred the thing, but it's been very good so far.

Do you recall what size drill bit you used for that?

Back