Slimy film on surface

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I can't get a good picture, but I had a clear, slimy film on the surface of my beer. It attached down the wall of the carboy as I racked to bottling bucket. I guess I'll have to wait and see, but has anybody had this before?

Not much hops. Belgian Dubbel. Wlp500. Got a slow start. Pitched at 66. Rose to 70. Hopefully nothing else got started before the yeast.

Smells good. Don't know how to tell if it is semi solid. Don't know what a pellicle or mother is.

If it tastes fine, just proceed as normal Just make a note in your records in case something develops in the taste.

It doesn't take much oil to form a film across the surface of a liquid, it may have been from anything, probably food grade oil, so don't worry.

I've had that slight film on top of my dry stout I made my Whiskely with. As I siphoned it out of the BB, the film migrated to the sides & stuck, leaving clear beer.I'd used the BB as a secondary for the oaking process.

Back