Slim Torpedo Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagleBrewer

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these vs the normal Torpedo kegs from Morebeer? I'm looking to buy my first keg and decided on these. I'll eventually have multiple and the slim just makes sense. Height difference is negligible. Just looking for opinions from others who have them. Thanks!

I have regular Torpedo kegs and love them. I was kinda annoyed when the slim versions came out, as they are obviously not compatible for stacking with the original version. Nevertheless, great kegs. Haven't actually tried the slimline ones but might order a couple 2.5Gs.

I went ahead and ordered a 5 gal slim. I'm new at kegging, but the craftsmanship appears to be superb. I also bought an AMCYL (made in India, $20 less) and while it appears well made as well, the torpedo is much more aesthetically pleasing.

Got my keg today. Was not impressed with the packing. Cardboard box with the keg inside. Keg is in a plastic bag but here is no foam anywhere. Amazingly despite the box damage, the keg has no dents!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468557282.180345.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468557384.525245.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468557401.234891.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468557423.246958.jpg

The opening in the top is also very roughly shaped. Hope I don't have the sealing issues some have had using this keg.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468557446.925062.jpg

Besides that, the welds look good and the handles are very comfortable. Will pressurize it tomorrow and see how well she holds up.

They are nice kegs but I do have sealing issues. Typically have to use tons of lube and reseat them several times.

They are nice kegs but I do have sealing issues. Typically have to use tons of lube and reseat them several times.

I have 3 torpedo kegs and they all seal without any problems.
I have used them many times (basically they are used ALL the time - I favor them over used corneys I have) and they seem of exceptional quality to me. (I have regular Torpedo's, not the slim ones)

Great so far! It's in my kegerator filled and carbed up. Holding pressure just fine and poured a pint not even 5 minutes ago. Just placed an order for a second one tonight.

I had sealing issues on mine for sure. had to reseat just right with keg lube. ruin a couple of good IPA's with them too....

I had sealing issues on mine for sure. had to reseat just right with keg lube. ruin a couple of good IPA's with them too....

Glad to hear I wasn't alone. Were yours Slim or Regular Torpedo's? I'd like to buy another one but not feeling real warm and fuzzy about it.

The reported sealing issues definitely has me checking my co2 gauges more often than necessary. I just pulled the trigger on my second slim. Hopefully I get lucky twice in a row.

I wrote this in another Torpedo keg thread, but my second one had a hard time sealing, so I called More Beer. They recommended sealing the lid with co2 with the lid unlatched. It will seal up pretty quickly. Once it pressurizes then latch it. I tried it a couple of times and it worked great. I've been carbing a batch with it and no leaks whatsoever. The person I spoke to said this is pretty common with the Torpedo kegs.

I wrote this in another Torpedo keg thread, but my second one had a hard time sealing, so I called More Beer. They recommended sealing the lid with co2 with the lid unlatched. It will seal up pretty quickly. Once it pressurizes then latch it. I tried it a couple of times and it worked great. I've been carbing a batch with it and no leaks whatsoever. The person I spoke to said this is pretty common with the Torpedo kegs.

It's actually a good practice with any keg. Let the lid kinda sit there (without latch on) and apply CO2 pressure. Let it move around a bit until the lid finds a good seal. Lube helps. Then and only then close the latch.

Today I learned I have been closing my kegs incorrectly. No problems so far, though, including my brief time with 2 Torpedoes.

The Torpedoes appear to be fine and I love that there's no messy black rubber. They feel kind of cheap though, and mine both have some little irregularities in the open rim... Nothing that keeps them from working, but nothing I remember seeing on my used Corny kegs.

Back