Slightly Smashed Apollo Pale Ale - Input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
Looking for some input on this recipe. I haven't brewed with apollo yet and want to make a smash (well slightly smashed) for experimentation.
I want a pale ale that has a bit more characteristics of an IPA.

OG 1.056
FG 1.015
IBU ~ 46
efficiency 70%

Safale US-05

11.75# 2-row
1# crystal 60L
.5# carapils/dextrine

.25 oz 60min 19%
.5 oz 30 min 19%
.5 oz 15 min 19%
.5 oz 5 min 19%

Has anyone brewed with Apollo before? Thoughts?

First... I would call it a SH'ed pale ale...second, I personally am not sure that you'll get enough information about apollo with the hop schedule you have. I personally would treat it more like a hop burst and get all of your IBUs from late hop additions. If you aren't willing to do that, or don't have enough hops, I would change it up and do something like:

.5 oz 60
.5 oz 15
.75 oz KO

or something like that. Its really hard to brew a well balanced, well bittered IPAish beer with ~2 oz hops. To really understand the contribution of a hop to flavor/aroma, you need to use several ounces (I use >8 oz/5 gallons).

All of this is my opinion, and there will be other people who puke on what I've said, but those are my 1.5 cents.

First... I would call it a SH'ed pale ale...second, I personally am not sure that you'll get enough information about apollo with the hop schedule you have. I personally would treat it more like a hop burst and get all of your IBUs from late hop additions. If you aren't willing to do that, or don't have enough hops, I would change it up and do something like:

.5 oz 60
.5 oz 15
.75 oz KO

or something like that. Its really hard to brew a well balanced, well bittered IPAish beer with ~2 oz hops. To really understand the contribution of a hop to flavor/aroma, you need to use several ounces (I use >8 oz/5 gallons).

All of this is my opinion, and there will be other people who puke on what I've said, but those are my 1.5 cents.

thanks for the input.

i have a pound in total so i have lots i can use. however, i wanted to keep the IBU under 50 for a pale ale. and with these super high alpha hops its hard to do so.

i agree that maybe more late hop additions will give me a better understanding of the flavour.

maybe this schedule is better suited ~ 48 IBU
boil 60 mins 0.5 Apollo leaf 19.0
boil 15 mins 0.75 Apollo leaf 19.0
boil 5 mins 0.75 Apollo leaf 19.0
dry hop 3 days 0.5 Apollo leaf 19.0

maybe doing an IPA with higher IBU would be better with this hop?

Did you ever try this one out? Just ordered some Apollo and want to SMaSH(ish) it. Get enough flavor / aroma to get a good feel for the hop?

What sort of flavours were you getting off of the apollo?

I have a pound of apollo sitting in my freezer, and pretty much an identical grain bill sitting in my basement ready for brewing this weekend.

Actually, instead of a Pale Ale I made an Apollo IPA with about 1/2 pound of Apollo hops.

I don't have the recipe on hand but what I recall was the bittering was nice, not harsh. Flavouring was apples and pears and slight citrus from what I remember, and a bit too resiny as the Crystal 60L was a bit too much. Aroma was profound as well.

I recently did a DIPA with Apollo only as bittering and aroma but its not kegged yet.

If i were to do it over i would use a lighter crystal, or just go with about 6% non-crystal malt like special aromatic. Maybe use 2-3% crystal 15L for a bit of body. Now that i think of it i would use apollo again.

I just want to let you know that I just finished kegging this a few days ago:

12# of 2-row
1# of crystal 60
1.5oz apollo @60
2.5oz apollo @flameout, left to sit in the hot wort for about 30 minutes before chilling
2oz cascade in secondary.

the 1.5oz created a super bitter beer, which is what I was hoping for. The 2.5oz at flameout did next to nothing for me though. After a week in the fermenter, the hop flavour and aroma was gone. I was quite surprised. So, I decided to dry hop 2oz of cascade in there for 5 days just before kegging, and was quite happy with the result.

My conclusion, I wouldn't use apollo as a flavour hop unless I were to use a lot of it.

based on your hop schedule you arent going to get much flavour out of these hops. if u want flavour you need to add something between 20-10 min.

if you wanna get flavour i would recommend maybe .75 oz of apollo at 60 min. less upfront bitterness. then maybe a 20 min addition of 1 oz. then a 5 min addition of 1 oz.

once again i recall there was apple/pear flavour.

personally when i want to learn about the flavour profile of a new hop i blast the hops at the end of the boil. < 20 min

Hey, an update on this, I brewed another batch a few weeks ago, just kegged it a few days ago.

For 10 gallons:
24lbs x 2-row
2lbs x Crystal 60
2oz apollo @ 60min
4oz apollo @ 20min
4oz cascase @ Dry hop 3 days before kegging

I'm getting a very distinct peach aroma off of the beer, almost smells like peach iced tea. There's a very nice peach / citrus flavour from the hops too. I really like the outcome. My first guess wouldn't have been apple/pear, but now that you mention it, I can absolutely see that. For such a strong bittering hop, these make for a very nice flavouring later in the boil too. I'm going to try these in my peach IPA recipe once peaches come back into season around here.

Back