Slightly Frozen Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsonLE

Reaction score
So I brewed an oatmeal stout and I let it ferment for exactly 3 weeks, and now it is currently cold crashing in the primary. I went to check up on it today (2 days into cold crashing) and I saw that the beer was a little bit slushy, but definitely not completely frozen. I have been searching and haven't really found a good answer, but, will this have any repercussions? Also, should I add yeast when bottling so I do not have to worry about under carbonation?

Once when I lagered I got a thin layer of ice on top due to temp controller overshoot. That was not detrimental - it still carbed well without re-pitch. But I would say that if you had slush throughout, it might be good to pick up a pack of dry yeast just for insurance.

It depends on how quickly it froze. If the yeast had a chance to get into a dormant state they prolly will be fine. If it froze quickly I would be afraid some died.

Chances are it is fine but if it were me I would add half a pack of dry yeast to be sure I got it to carb. If you didn't start with dry yeast use some Notty it will get the job done fine.

It depends on how quickly it froze. If the yeast had a chance to get into a dormant state they prolly will be fine. If it froze quickly I would be afraid some died.

Chances are it is fine but if it were me I would add half a pack of dry yeast to be sure I got it to carb. If you didn't start with dry yeast use some Notty it will get the job done fine.

Ok awesome. Should I re-hydrate the dry yeast like usual?

LarsonLE said:
Ok awesome. Should I re-hydrate the dry yeast like usual?

I would. Then make sure you give it a chance to mix with the beer. Add it to the bottling bucket first. Or add it after and give it a gentle stir.

I can't remember where I read this, so you can discount it if you like...but freezing the beer and removing the ice was a technique used in lagering to remove water and increase maltiness.

If you let it thaw, no changes to gravity, but if you wanted to malt it up, you could leave the ice (just water really) behind.

Back