Slight sour in extract fruit wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have had two failed fruit beer attempts, But this one was a kit using extract wheat extract and peach puree that I put in the primary near the end of boil(12.5 brix OG). Temperature controlled at 60* for the first week. It felt like it stalled out around 1.020 so I raised the temp to 65* for the second week and it finished at 1.014.

I racked to secondary and carbonated and I'm noticing its not good.....Lol. A slight nose of sour and no peachy flavor or smell. I know the boil probably killed the peach puree.

I don't think its infected per se. But its not good. I'm going to take it to the home brew store to get an opinion.... Are fruit beers hard to not go sour... It was supposed to be an easy extract kit.

The yeast was a dry yeast that I did a 2L starter on and used RO water. I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong.

I just did a Blonde Mango. Using frozen mango chunks from Costco that I puréed and added to secondary. After 2 weeks bottled and sampled. Tasted significant mango flavor at that time this weekend will be 2 weeks in the bottle will sample again. Everything I've read says to add fruit at end of fermentation so all the flavor don't get devoured by the yeast.

Back