Slight hissing sound from Crown caps using Youngs Capper...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w44dde

Reaction score
Hi there, I've just bottled my next batch of strawberry Cider and upon trying to cap these I've smashed around 3 bottles in the process (not particularly crimping that hard) and on most of them I can hear just a slight hissing noise from the cap. I'm using the young's double handed capper with wilko gold caps and tesco red caps.. (the gold seem to go on better? ) with Carlsberg export and standard carlsberg bottles.. has anybody else had this problem? Could it just be a mixture of crap caps and or crap bottles..? Ta

ok Had to take a quick trip to google to figure out what you were talking about. lol Here in the US we refer to the capper you are using as an emily style capper.
Also took a look at Carlsberg export bottle images on google.
You should not be breaking any bottles when you cap. So there is a problem.
It sounds like the capper you have has a small sized "bell" Some european and all belgian bottles have a larger bottle opening and need a larger sized bell on your capper. here is a link to a us seller.

http://www.homebrewing.org/29-MM-Bell-Housing-Emily-Capper_p_2125.html

Back