Slight astringent taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
Just tasted mine after about five days in the fermenter. Has a slight astringent taste. I think I let it get too warm towards the end of mashing. I also squeezed the bag(which I always do). Any chance the flavor will ferment out in the next week or so? It's still taste like it's going to be very drinkable and I haven't dryhopped it yet. It's the Yooper's House Pale Ale.

Tannin extraction which can produce astringency is not a concern if your mash pH is in range coupled with proper temp of sparge water, at 5 days primary you're being a little concerned about it way too early. Let it finish, condition and carbonate before you start losing sleep over it:)

Way too early to tell. This early in the fermentation there are a handful of things that could be causing perceived astringency. Heck, you may even have just picked up a bit of the krausen in your taster. Give it time, brother.

All valid points. Thanks guys. I tend to be impatient and want to taste the process.

Back