Slicing the Bottom of Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticcolorado

Reaction score
I was speaking with a fellow homebrewer the other day. He mentioned to me that it is really important to slice cuts in the bottom edge of the keggles when using a direct fire system, so oxygen can get to the burners.

I have never heard of such a thing and don't have these on my keggles. Is anyone familiar with this? I did some searches and didn't find any info.

Most kegs have small holes between the skirt and the tank on the top and bottom for draining water that might accumulate in there under normal use. Those are apparently sufficient to vent the heated air from the burner (oxygen comes in from below). Some older kegs may not have those holes.

I know there are post on here regarding this but I think the real reason is to be sure your keggles have holes in the bottom so pressure can't build up and explode. Maybe someone can point you to the link for a video of a keggle that exploded during a boil.

There is a sticky on the equipment page I think with the details. Can't link to it though with the app but im sure someone will shortly or you can just bring it up.

Some kegs have a sealed skirt which contains some empty space. It is important to drill a couple small holes in this sealed skirt to allow for air movement. If you place a keg with sealed skirt on the burner the pressure in the skirt can get excessivley high and cause the skirt to explosively release the excess pressure inside of it.

I am familiar with putting holes in the skirt and have these in my kegs. I had just never heard of cutting large slits in the skirt for oxygen transference.

There is something to be said for partially venting that area but it's not really for getting oxygen to the burner. Most burners get their oxygen from the intake venturi where the gas enters. Of course, this is not the case with the multi-jet ones that the Brutus made so popular.

Latest posts

Back