Slicer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I didn't see recent threads on this, so I'm looking for input on a meat slicer. Not trying to go broke, so while I know names like Hobart, etc. are quality, that's too much (and overkill). Does anyone have first hand knowledge of any of these?

Chef's Choice (probably the 615 model)
Weston 9" OR 7.5"
Nesco FS250 OR FS200

I suspect that for the money, they all have nylon/plastic gears. Weston seems to have parts available, which either means they have great service or they have to replace a lot of gears.

Thanks!

I have what seems to be an older version of the Chef's Choice. Bottom line is, it works OK, but it is a PITA to clean and I don't enjoy using it.

Slices flop out of the back and you have to put down a tray or better yet, just cover the work surface in plastic wrap.

You have to PUSH on the meat when you slide it towards the blade, but the slicer has slippery feet and it will just slide backwards on the counter. You'll need to brace the back with something. I put a cutting board between the slicer and backsplash.

Grease and meat bits get into all these little cracks and you have to spend 10 minutes cleaning it when you are done. Fortunately some of the major parts are top rack dishwasher safe.

If you overwork it, it will go into thermal shutdown and won't turn back on for at least 30 minutes.

It does indeed have nylon drive gears, though they've never been a problem for me. If I overload it I can see and hear the motor slow, but there are no gear skips.

If you try to cut any meat that is less than very firm, you get this ragged uncut edge on the main piece that you have to trim off. But if you partially freeze your jerky meat so it isn't floppy, then you will probably overwork and overheat it before you get through 10 lbs of eye of round...

Despite all these complaints, it DOES let me cut deli-thin slices of pastrami, and it does let me cut even thickness slices of raw meat for jerky... There is simply no replacement for a slicer for some tasks. I just wish this one was nicer.

I got mine as a gift and it works well enough that I am not planning on replacing it. Knowing what I know now, if I was buying a new one, I would definitely look at other options.

I have a Weston, I think it's the 9" one. My review would be pretty much exactly the same as horseflesh's except I've never had mine shutdown. Admittedly I don't use it all that often because it's kind of a pain in the rear, but it does do the job. Just don't expect it to do the job of a commercial slicer and it'll be fine

I have the Chef's Choice 610. I'm happy with it. Never had any difficulties with it.

It can bog down if you try to force something through, but if I take my time and let the machine do the work, it works wonderfully. I've sliced numerous hams in a session, 24+ pounds of cabbage, etc, but haven't experienced any thermal overload. Hopefully I never will.

I have a lot of experience with commercial slicers, and this is easier to clean because it's quicker to completely disassemble. It yields the same results as commercial slicers, just at a much slower pace.

I'd keep a lookout for old Hobart, Globe and Berkel slicer on craigslist. If you see them, you don't have to buy it...but you will have to go look at it right away!

Have had some of the cheaper models...wouldn't go that route again, nor recommend anyone else go that route.

be patient

Second vote for an old hobart or berkel. A good sized one. The cheap, small stuff seems to be a pain to clean. Inconsistent slices. I just haven't had great luck with them.

Most slicing is made easier by having a colder product. So, even the cheap ones can work if things are firm enough.

I have an old Hobart Model 410, it is a 1951 vintage. Bought it out of a tavern that used it for years. Grease was caked on everywhere, it had feet missing and was a real sight, but I had used it a few times and knew it to be a good unit. So I plunked down $175 and took it home.

I put some labor and elbow grease into it, replaced the feet and sharpened the blade. That was 12-13 years ago. I still have it and it has been awesome.

Keep your eyes open, the deals are out there. Good luck.

I ended up with the Weston. So far it has been good. I don't use it as much as I thought, but I need to make some more pastrami!

Back