Skunky fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaffrig24

Reaction score
I've got a hefe fermenting right now. I brewed it on Sunday and used White labs WLP-300 yeast. I made a starter and used a blow off tube and got a very strong fermentation going. After it settled down I put an airlock on it and it's still bubbling every 20 seconds or so. It's in a glass carboy that is in a closed cabinet with the temp at 70F. It stays dark in the cabinet except when I check on the progress. Today I came home and took a look and the smell was very skunky. Is this a normal thing with that yeast or do I have a skunked beer?

At 70 with hefe yeast I would expect you would get some pretty serious banana smells going, or cloves.

Nothing banana-ish at all? Cloves?

It had the banana smell until today, now it just stinks! It's like my dog somehow climbed into the brew cabinet and farted!
The good news is I just kegged up a batch of Rye pale ale that tastes awesome, it's like an angel peed in my fermenter. I may even call it angel piss! I already have a name for it though because of the brew pot that I picked up on a construction site. They had a Lacor 28 stainless pot which holds 19 quarts sitting in the room with a copper tube running to it catching drips, trash and the occasional tobacco spit. I took it home, cleaned it up, found it for sale on the Internet for $160 and brewed up my Rye. It's called the Spit Pail Ale aka Angel Piss

If it just smells like your dog farted in there, it should be fine- I can't believe I'm saying this. :eek: Skunk smells just like the name, skunky. I keep my carboy in a dark closet, but the closet has a fluorescent light. I use a flashlight to check on the beer so I don't run the risk of skunking it. I've had some pretty weird aromas from my various brews, from rotten, sulfurous egg stench to banana. Your angel piss beer sounds intriguing...please post the recipe if it turns out well! :mug:

as noted above, hefes can give off some nasty sulfurous smells. its normal. it will be tasty.

Back