Skunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilburnj

Reaction score
I need help! I'm on batch #4 brewing a simple all grain pale ale and I'm about to keg it. I think this may be my 3rd bad batch in a row. I have cleaned the #%*& out of my equipment but it smells like the last 2, a bit stale/medical/maybe a little brown sugar-like. My 1st batch came out great but ever since that they have all come out bad. Maybe its my water or I'm just not getting my glass carboys clean enough. It's getting to the point of frustraition that is killing me. If anyone has any words of advice I would love to hear them.

I had used san star. I used Deer Park water to rense everything this go around so it seems to smell a bit less. I guess I won't know for certain with this batch until next week. My tap water does have heavy amounts of chlorine.

I had used san star. I used Deer Park water to rense everything this go around so it seems to smell a bit less. I guess I won't know for certain with this batch until next week. My tap water does have heavy amounts of chlorine.

As long as you're not brewing with tap water, you should be ok. I clean with chlorinated tap water and brew with spring water. I never have the smells you're describing. How are your fermentation temps?

Back