Skipping extract and going straight to partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekhna

Reaction score
Is there some skill you really need to cultivate in extract brewing before going to partial mash? I am thinking for my first brew about going straight to partial mash and learning along the way. I've brewed with friends before who are much more capable than me, so I know the basics of extract brewing and partial mash. Certainly no expert though. Based on DeathBrewer's thread partial mash doesn't seem too much more difficult than extract.

Thanks!

Is there some skill you really need to cultivate in extract brewing before going to partial mash? I am thinking for my first brew about going straight to partial mash and learning along the way. I've brewed with friends before who are much more capable than me, so I know the basics of extract brewing and partial mash. Certainly no expert though. Based on DeathBrewer's thread partial mash doesn't seem too much more difficult than extract.

Thanks!

Do it, after reading every thing in here I'm sure you know what your doing already.

The main reason to do extract first: it's just about impossible to ruin. Given that you've done some brewing with other people, you might as well do PM, as it gives you more choices.

I say go for it. One of the reasons for starting simple is to make sure you understand the basics like sanitation and equipment before having to worry about mashing sparging too. I'm sure you are familiar with those if you have seen the process before. With DB's pictorial it is very straightforward.

My approach to a partial mash is to have the extract on hand to back it up. Like, for example, a simple recipe could have like 4 lb of barley and 3 lb of extract. I just finished my first couple partial mashes and my approach was to have 3 lb of extract extra on hand. That way once my mash/sparge was done, i calculated my efficiency, and if I did a bad job, I could just up my extract poundage. I think it's a great approach for someone wanting to go to the PM level. I did get poor efficiency my first PM and I did up my extract levels and I'm pretty sure the beer will turn out OK.

This probably would require you to use a picnic cooler lauter tun. The stovetop method doesn't seem like it would allow you the opportunity to calculate efficiency very well. I'm not too familiar with it though.

Basement Brewing: Cheap Mash & Lauter Tun for only $55 or Less
I was able to find the cooler described in this article and every part listed at lowes. I subbed the 2" brass nipple with like a 2.5" brass nipple but it's fine. It literally took me less than 20 minutes to find the stuff and less than 20 minutes to build. If you've got the ambition to go to PM I'm guessing you'll want to move to all grain soon and you'll need one of these anyway, so I recommend considering this option. Plus it'll be one less thing to buy and learn how to use when you jump to all grain.

Doesnt hurt to research it and try. I did extract partial boils when i first started and looked into partial mashing, but i liked the idea of full mashes and full boils so i just went all grain. The reason was that my LHBS carries most grains and has a limited selection of extract so it made more sense to me to just use grain.

I've been brewing all grain since day 1. There is no specific reason why you should start with extract and work to all grain. Extract is just easier and requires less equipment.

I went through 1 partial mash brew before moving to all grain. I did have some good guidance from some friends, but I would agree that there is no reason to "work your way up". Just understand what your doing and be patient.

Back