Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just ripped the zest from a dozen lemons to make a batch of limoncello and figured I'd have a go at a gallon of skeeter pee with all the juice in the newly bald fruit. There are a couple of problems though (apols if questions have been asked already - 1700+ posts is a lot to check through):

- The only "yeast slurry" I have available is from a wine kit that I have on the go but have already stabilized. Will this be OK?
- If not what are the chances of it working by just pitching in a spoonful of dry wine yeast? Should I just freeze the lemon juice and wait I have some nicer slurry?
- Would brewing sugar be best for this or is normal granulated sugar just as good?

Thanks in advance.

RedCabbage said:
I've just ripped the zest from a dozen lemons to make a batch of limoncello and figured I'd have a go at a gallon of skeeter pee with all the juice in the newly bald fruit. There are a couple of problems though (apols if questions have been asked already - 1700+ posts is a lot to check through):

- The only "yeast slurry" I have available is from a wine kit that I have on the go but have already stabilized. Will this be OK?
- If not what are the chances of it working by just pitching in a spoonful of dry wine yeast? Should I just freeze the lemon juice and wait I have some nicer slurry?
- Would brewing sugar be best for this or is normal granulated sugar just as good?

Thanks in advance.

Go with the wine yeast. I never use a slurry, just pitch dry yeast (I use champagne yeast).

Granulated sugar is fine.

I've never used a yeast slurry. I always just use Lalvin EC-1113 and it turns out great. Take a day or two to start seeing it kick into action but it works just fine. I make 5 gals at a time so I just pitch the whole package. You are going to make a 5 gallon batch after you try this ;)

I didn't use a slurry for my Skeeter pee and had major troubles getting the yeast to work....ended up having to use 2 packs. When I went to make my Dragon Blood, I made a slurry first from yeast and 4 cans of Welch's Grape Raspberry. The slurry was fantastic! I pitched it last Friday, and today the SG was down to 1.00. Next time I make Pee, I will definitely make a slurry first. For me, that was the best way to go. I have reserved the 4 bottles of wine from the grape raspberry to use if I need to top off the DB, otherwise, I will just drink those babies the way they are!

Hate to give out a secret, but I mix 1/2 of a light beer with 1/4 glass of pee....a shandy....mmmmm, good!

Hate to give out a secret, but I mix 1/2 of a light beer with 1/4 glass of pee....a shandy....mmmmm, good!

Friend of mine does that with bud light so he doesn't get completed obliterated! And it is a way to make the bud light decent :)

Friend of mine does that with bud light so he doesn't get completed obliterated! And it is a way to make the bud light decent :)

I mixed with various frozen juices and my wife liked the mixed berry. Then she added a spash of Grapefruit Perrier and she loved it. She then scaled that up into a large piture with some fresh berries for a party she had and they wiped out half my supply:drunk:

flyinpig said:

Made a batch of American wheat for just that. Also, as an in intended consequence, finally got my FIL enjoying my stuff as he's a MGD only guy, but man he downs my wheat beer like its going out of style.

My first batch.
image-3805989992.jpg

This is just pulled out of secondary after only 24 hrs. Amazing how much it's cleared in that short time.

Big nose of fresh squeezed lemonade; presents on the palate as a bone dry white wine; medium-short finish of fermented lemons. Very cool!

Wife and I trying to decide how much (if any) back-sweetening, and with what...

My first batch.

This is just pulled out of secondary after only 24 hrs. Amazing how much it's cleared in that short time.

Big nose of fresh squeezed lemonade; presents on the palate as a bone dry white wine; medium-short finish of fermented lemons. Very cool!

Wife and I trying to decide how much (if any) back-sweetening, and with what...

Did you use a yeast slurry? I am going to do a batch Monday. I dont have any yeast slurries so I am going to throw in some yeast and see what happens. If nothing is going on in a couple days I'll throw in some more. Very excited to try this though.

Swarley88 said:
Did you use a yeast slurry? I am going to do a batch Monday. I dont have any yeast slurries so I am going to throw in some yeast and see what happens. If nothing is going on in a couple days I'll throw in some more. Very excited to try this though.

I've used dry yeast on both my batches with no issues. I used two packets of champagne yeast. Fermented like a boss both times

EC1118 starter

Swarley88 said:

I did a starter with two packs EC1118 in half a gallon of Newman's Own Virgin Lemonade (no preservatives, just lemon juice, water, and sugar) straight from the carton.

I have always used 1 pack of the dry Champaign yeast, made a starter and no promlem with it starting right away.

I've got 10gal that I am cold crashing before back sweeting... can't wait!

for back sweetening has anyone made the invert sugar for that stage? to help the 6 cups dissolve into the finished product a little easier...just wondering how it would turn out, or if it would ruin my 6 G batch :(

appreciate any help.

that's what I figure too...going to keg this batch as well....way easier then bottling :D I wish I would have kegged years ago...but I was doing wines then and I didn't know at that time, you could keg wines too :S

I have my first batch going. Added my yeast slurry from Apfelwein yesterday afternoon. Hope to see some sign of fermentation soon.

I also just pitched a yeast slurry made from Ec1118. Fermenting away, can't wait to taste the finished product.

I added yeast yeast slurry from Apfelwein Monday afternoon, no activity in the airlock and SG hasn't dropped. It was sitting on the yeast cake for about 3.5-4 months.

I have some Montrachret and Lalvin D47 on hand. Which would the Skeeter-pee-experts recommend...or should I just give it another day or so? Its been @73 degrees since I added the yeast.

Thanks chalkdust...I pitched the Montrachet Friday morning and the airlock was bubbling by 9 PM. First batch of Pee is underway. :)

OK Status Report for Skeeter Pee using the Arpolis Starter: Umm Oh My God Awesome! The wine lees give it a slight pink hue and added an almost grapefruit flavor. It is freakin amazing. I allowed it to ferment dry, stabilized it, then back-sweetened with 5 cups of baking Splenda (1 cup = 1 cup sugar). Its a bit sweet, so next time I will only use 4 cups of Splenda. I like this batch better than my first batch which I used Apfelwein Lees.

SWMBO said that if one of the Kegarators tap doesn't have this on at all times, I am in trouble she loves it so much.

I am going to split the five gallon batch and rack one of the halves on raspberries. What are peoples suggestions on quantity of raspberries?

Swarley88 said:
I am going to split the five gallon batch and rack one of the halves on raspberries. What are peoples suggestions on quantity of raspberries?

I use 12 ounces of frozen raspberries per gallon of beer if that helps at all. I would describe the flavor intensity as medium.

Awesome thanks. I just bottled half of it-regular. will be putting raspberries into the other half tomorrow.

I pitched this on 8-5.
It took a couple of days to get going I eventually added Montrachet but its only just today below 1.00 SG. I didn't think it would ever finish!

Oops

I started around the first week of August as well and was just below 1.0 over the weekend. I added the potassium and sparkloid on Saturday, and its already clearing up. Ive got a party coming up on 9/7. That would be when I add the sugar to sweeten. Is it going to be okay to serve at that point or is it really necessary to wait another 2 weeks?

I started around the first week of August as well and was just below 1.0 over the weekend. I added the potassium and sparkloid on Saturday, and its already clearing up. Ive got a party coming up on 9/7. That would be when I add the sugar to sweeten. Is it going to be okay to serve at that point or is it really necessary to wait another 2 weeks?

I am kinda in the same boat. Party on the 6th.

As soon as it's clear, you can rack and back sweeten. The only reason to wait to package after you back sweeten is to make sure that fermentation does not restart. I think if you wait 3 or 4 days after you back sweeten, you should be fine.

You can drink instantly when you backsweeten. No need for conditioning.

Edit:I also at the time wasn't worrying to much about re fermentation. I just wanted to drink it!

I really want to make Skeeter Pee but I only have a 7 gallon fermenting bucket and a 6 gallon carboy. Can I make a half batch (2.5) gallons in a 6 gallon carboy without worrying about oxidation? To preempt the make-the-5-gallons comments, I don't need that much as I don't drink that much nor do I have friends who drink much either.
Thanks!

Back