Skeeter Pee Yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyennie

Reaction score
I want to make a batch of Skeeter Pee but don't know how to make a yeast slurry. As I understand a yeast slurry is what falls out when making wine (bottom of the carboy sludge), but I don't make wine... So what can I do to overcome this issue???

Yeast slurry is part of the trub at the bottom of the carboy in any fermentation. It includes: yeast, hop particles, and any other break material that precipitates to the bottom.

I checked the website Skeeter Pee, to get the recipe. It sounds like this fella is making what most of us call Hooch, his just happens to be lemon hooch.

What he means is, pitch a whole lotta yeast because you are adding 7 lbs of sugar to lemon juice. That means, a very high OG and a very low pH. Yeast will be seriously stressed in that kind of environment even with the added yeast nutrients and "energizer" (whatever that is)

What I think he means by yeast slurry, is pitching a huge population of yeast, most easily obtained from the trub of a previous batch of beer or wine. What I would advise you to do, is make a huge yeast starter, comparable to your OG by using this calculator Mr Malty. My guess, is that you will need to make at least a gallon starter to overcome the large gravity from the table sugar and the low pH from the lemon juice.

Good luck.
-Jeff-

I just made a huge starter of D-47 wine yeast if I remember correctly and everyone LOVED it.

The directions are to reuse a yeast cake but you do not have to in the wine section there is an EPIC thread on skeeter pee. It is hard to miss it.

Sprinkle two packs of EC1118 into a 64 ounce bottle of white grape juice that has had about 4 ounces of the juice removed. Shake it whenever you walk by, and in two days you'll have the slurry your need - or search the skeeter pee threads in the Wine sub-forum.

Back