Skanky Fruit in Primary - Should I remove it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhead

Reaction score
Hey guys - I've been experimenting a bit with fruit lately. I recently brewed Ed Wort's Apfelwein and really appreciated its simplicity and economical price. Naturally, some crazy variations ensued. One variation, which i'm calling grapewein, is the same exact concoction Ed Wort masterminded except for the substitution of grape juice instead of apple juice. Another variation is exactly what I just described but with the addition of honey and delicious fresh Colorado peaches.

Well, the peaches are looking pretty skanky at this point (2-3 weeks in primary) and I'm wondering if this is standard. How long do you guys leave fruit in the primary or secondary?

It is done fermenting, and I should probably rack to secondary and remove the fruit (although I planned on leaving it in primary the whole time), but i'm also curious if fruit normally gets all gross and brown and generally nasty?

I figured the lack of air paired with the alcohol would preserve the fruit much like canned fruit, but it sure doesn't look that way.

What's up? Thanks again.

When I make wines or ciders with fruit in the primary, I rack off the fruit (or remove it if it's in a big mesh bag, a better idea) about 5 days after starting.

I would imagine that it would rot after a couple of weeks.

General Rule: As alcohol increases, it is wise to part ways with the skank.

Fermented Grape Juice is Wine. You're forgiven because between beer and mead, it's relatively new on the block.

I'm a large fan of adding fruit to the secondary. The advantages are (1) the alcohol produced in the first fermentation will help kill evil germs, and (2) I don't need to worry (as much) about yeast autolysis (when they die and give up a funk) as much, because I left the majority of the unfuctional yeast in the primary, and (3) the fruit is more pronounced, in the middle body of the beer, as opposed to aroma from steeping the fruit, or front end flavor by using fruit extract.

This seems to be the same question as "when do I rack to secondary?" And the answer is...it depends: let thy hydrometer be thy guide. Airlocks measure fermentation indirectly and vary a lot according to temperature (warm worts ferment faster, i.e. at night after the yeasties have had a good warm day to chomp on carbs.) When your hydrometer measures are consistent two days in a row, you're better off moving to secondary.

When I move to secondary, without fruit, I let the beer clear for two weeks before bottling. With fruit, I give the secondary stage 3 or 4 weeks, once again, dictated by the hydrometer.

To be safe, I rack onto a third fermentation, with nothing is in the fermenter except for the beer. (no one said homebrewing would be fast...) I disregarded this step once with a mango beer, only to have a case of GUSHERS for my effort. Lots of fun to give to party guests...when the party isn't at your house. :) This 3rd fermentation lasts about a week, just to stabelize the beer. Don't expect any fun little bubbles here, it like taking a nap before the big game: it may be boring, but very necessary.

Prime, bottle, and age a week or two and you should have a delectable fruit beer. Just make sure to keep clean and write down your procedure. Always improve and learn from your mistakes. Don't let those with more experience intimate you...it's your freaking beer, do what you think is good and learn from that experiment.

Right now, I have a Strawberry-Guava Wheat sitting in my closet. Since guava season (in Hawaii) is over, I'm using the frozen strawberry-guava juice concentrate (like Minute Maid Orange Juice from the Freezer) as my fruit. I rationalize that it's mostly corn syrup/sugar (the first ingredient on the label) and it'll ferment out. This is the most active secondary fermentation I've ever seen...it's the third day and still 1 bubble a second! I'm hoping for a 10% alcohol ratio by bottling time. I'll post the results once I can do a legitimate tasting.

Good Luck Nick! May the Yeast be with you!

That strawberry-guava beer sounds awesome. Thanks for the help. I took a taste yesterday and yep, it was a horribly sour punch in the face with a funky unbearable taste. Hopefully, a few months will mellow it out to drinkable levels.

In my experience, it's not advisable to stay on the fruit for more than two or so weeks. You'll want to rack to secondary immediately. They've served their purpose, and have nothing good left to contribute to the flavor. I also considered doing the "grapewein" thing, but then I figured it would probably come out tasting like Mogen David 20/20. :cross:

ha - Torchiest, I'll let you know how it tastes, but I imagine you are right.

One concern of mine (and the reason I didn't rack to 2ndary immediately) was that I didn't think it was done fermenting. I was afraid that if I racked i'd lose precious yeast and wouldn't get the alchohol content I was looking for.

What do you think?

The yeast that are already on the bottom are pretty much done for anyway. The yeast that are still in suspension are the ones still willing to keep working on the fermentation.

+1 to what Yooper said. The only concern you'd have racking to secondary would be losing headspace and possibly having a minor blow off.

That strawberry-guava beer sounds awesome. Thanks for the help. I took a taste yesterday and yep, it was a horribly sour punch in the face with a funky unbearable taste. Hopefully, a few months will mellow it out to drinkable levels.

I had the same problem with my strawberry-guava wheat.

I advise the use of Lactose to give back the sweetness. I use Lactose for Wheat, Stout, and any other full bodied beer that could benefit from its addition. (Lactose will make your beer taste "heavier" and shouldn't be used for light beers...i.e. lagers and ciders, imo.)

For light bodied beers, splenda is the route I go. There is really no way to tell how much splenda to use...because it's made from sugar and the weight is all off. I suggest adding the splenda to the bottling bucket in 1/2 cup increments and tasting.

As fro my SG Wheat, I am dilligently saving the last six bottles from my drinking buddies. They LOVE IT. It ended up 9.5 ABV, without a huge hoppy punch (i.e. IPAs) which they appreciate. It's a little less carbed then I would've liked, but I can't complain with suck a kick ass alcohol level.

After my second remake, I'll post the recipe. Happy brewing.

"May the Yeast be With You."

just make sure you try one of the peaches. I made a peach brandy once and couldn't resist trying one of the peaches that had been soaking for 6 months. I think i thought it would be full alcohol and still taste like a peach. I have to say I was surprised.

Don't let those with more experience intimate you...it's your freaking beer, do what you think is good and learn from that experiment.

I never let more experienced brewer's intimate me.I might take their advice though :D

Back