Size of Flask for Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishredthecello

Reaction score
Is a 1000ml flask large enough to do a 1 liter starter with 2 packets of Wyeast (the smack packs)?

thanks, i didn't think it would, but figured maybe someone would know better than me, who would have attempted it and then found it didn't work.

when i bought it i got it at local shop a while ago they didn't have the 2k so I just bought the 1k, i wonder if they'd buy back the smaller one or give me some credit. i think i used it twice.

looks like i'll be upgrading :D

Thanks for quick response.

thanks, i didn't think it would, but figured maybe someone would know better than me, who would have attempted it and then found it didn't work.

when i bought it i got it at local shop a while ago they didn't have the 2k so I just bought the 1k, i wonder if they'd buy back the smaller one or give me some credit. i think i used it twice.

looks like i'll be upgrading :D

Thanks for quick response.

IF they won't let you return/exchange the small one, you could always use it to measure the water for the other flask starter wort creation. :D

True, since the smaller one is apparently precise as the 2L one I bought just says "Approx".

Why do you need 2 packs if you are doing a starter? You could produce more cells with one pack and a starter, decant, repitch, etc than with 2 packs, right?

yea, or I can use two and do less of a starter, because i had a 1liter flask.

/sass not intended

also, i didn't even know about stepping up starters until i started looking into how to grow yeast cell count. :tank:

I use a 1L flask. It works pretty well IF you have a stirplate. With a stirplate you can take 100bil yeast cells and with a 1 stage 1 L starter you can get it up to 225bil yeast cells which should be good for up to and around a 1.065 OG If you step it up once you can get about 350bil cells which should be good for a 1.100 OG

I make big beers so im usually making a 2 stage starter in my 1L flask. I wish I got a 2L but 1L is fine IF you have a stirplate.

I have a 2 liter Flask and can do a max starter of around 1.6 liters since it boils over when boiling on the stove. Still need to look into a stirplate, but I haven't done any beers over 1.060 OG. If you plan on doing lagers or need 2 liter starters or above, then buy a bigger one.

I have a 2 liter Flask and can do a max starter of around 1.6 liters since it boils over when boiling on the stove. Still need to look into a stirplate, but I haven't done any beers over 1.060 OG. If you plan on doing lagers or need 2 liter starters or above, then buy a bigger one.

IF you don't boil on the stove (in the flask), but you use a POT instead, you can get a full 2L into a 2L flask (combined starter wort and yeast). Which is one of the reasons why I don't understand some peoples complete aversion to doing this.

do you use the fermcap in the boil with the flask?

Back