Six Weeks In Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbys4evr

Reaction score
Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control, I have had to leave my brew in the fermenter for 6 weeks. The first chance I will get to bottle it is (maybe) Saturday.

The last time I took a gravity told me it was done, but since then I have had to wait, being away from home, etc. When I took that gravity I tasted it of course, and it tasted "okay" but the recipe is caramel witbier and it tasted very different from previous gravity checks. The only way I can describe it is it tastes pretty "strong." The abv is 6.3 which is exactly where it should be.

Please give me hope that the whole 5 gallons isn't ruined.

Relax, you are fine. I often leave beers in the fermenter fot longer than that, when life gets in the way.

Bottle when you can let t carb up and enoy.

Agreed, if anything, you may have done the beer a favor. Carbonation and some bottle condition time should get it where you want. :mug:

If you taste your beer over time you will find that it changes. I have had many batches that were 'ok' at 4 weeks, but great at 8 weeks. Reserve your judgement until after you have carbonated, odds are that you will be pleasantly surprised.

There are mostly two cases where I would be concerned. An IPA which would lose some of it's hoppiness or a very light beer which would be better young.

Even these cases would only mean the beer might not be it's best.

Back