Six little drops made such an improvement in my brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use three large drops per gallon and it very nearly prevents any foam from forming at all during the break and when adding hops.

-Steve

Found a use for it in my system. Just made a starter for this weekend's brew. Used rinsed slurry from a previous batch and put on the stir plate. The starter foamed up and would have foamed over. Had to turn off the stirplate. Too much slurry going too crazy and the stirplate is just too much for it. 1400 ml in a 2000 ml flask. Anyway, there you go. There's a use for it in my system. Don't need it for stopping boilovers as I said. First Wort Hopping works for that for me. But this could be a use for it.

I have been using a foam controller in my last couple of batches and I have noticed that if I add the foam controller right as the foam starts it works the best. I have been using 2 drops per gal.

I imagine this is much the same argument as organic/non-organic foods. Some say why fight the science of pesticides and even genetic engineering of grains. Others want their food as untainted as possible by modern methods. It's a great thing IMO that both options exist and that we as craft artists can pick and choose. I personally have never added anything that doesn't grow naturally but I'm not a zealot about it - I know my extract (when I use it) probably isn't made that way and that very modern practices govern the yeast distributors. I also will probably try 5.2 and fermcap at some point just to see what I'm missing but neither are really important if you have the right process and sufficient equipment.

I have been using a foam controller in my last couple of batches and I have noticed that if I add the foam controller right as the foam starts it works the best. I have been using 2 drops per gal.

That is probably more about the perception of seeing the foam disappear when you add the drops.

That is probably more about the perception of seeing the foam disappear when you add the drops.

Actually, my experience has been the same- the drops work best when added just as the boil starts. No idea why, but there it is.

I imagine this is much the same argument as organic/non-organic foods. Some say why fight the science of pesticides and even genetic engineering of grains. Others want their food as untainted as possible by modern methods. It's a great thing IMO that both options exist and that we as craft artists can pick and choose. I personally have never added anything that doesn't grow naturally but I'm not a zealot about it - I know my extract (when I use it) probably isn't made that way and that very modern practices govern the yeast distributors. I also will probably try 5.2 and fermcap at some point just to see what I'm missing but neither are really important if you have the right process and sufficient equipment.

That is exactly the whole mindset that I disagree with. I have had untold discussions with my friends who are supposed health nuts and only eat "natural" food - even though at some level most food is not natural and at some other level all food is natural. I also come across the same concept in the aquarium hobby where some people are opposed to adding "chemicals" to their tanks even though chemicals are naturally and intrinsically present, and necessarily so.

The problem is that these definitions of "purity" are extremely subjective sliding scales, and quite honestly are based slippery slope arguments. In my opinion beer is nothing more than a bunch of additives. There is nothing natural about it. But on the other hand I also understand that some people want to view a certain way of brewing as "pure" (e.g. Reinheitsgebot).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that perspective, but at the same time it should be clear that the justification for holding that viewpoint has no scientific or logical conclusion - but is based merely on opinion and preference, and should be seen as such.

Notice that this really has nothing to do with the scientific evidence proving or disproving the safety of foam controller - but is a discussion over the opinions regarding the use of foam controller in the home brewery. Since I already mentioned it, I think the debate over foam controller is identical to the "yes-no" debate in opinion pertaining to beer purity laws in the home brewery. In both cases there is nothing to prove, so neither side cannot be correct or incorrect. Neither side is wrong, nor can be wrong since it is more of a discussion centered around opinion and preference rather than a debate about which is conclusively better.

Neither side is wrong, nor can be wrong since it is more of a discussion centered around opinion and preference rather than a debate about which is conclusively better.

I think that's what I was getting at. I also do woodworking with no power tools. I don't think the end product is better because of the tools I use but I think the care reflected in my choice carries through to the work. And even if it doesn't - it's a hobby and that's the way I like to do it. The same can be said of brewers who make their beer with very select ingredients - especially homebrewers with no commercial interest in the marketing-speak. The ingredients themselves (or lack thereof) may or may not be better but the beer may be just because they cared enough to make the choice and do it their way.

I have avoided using Fermcap because I don't want to add chemicals to my beer. I'm not a fanatic, I just prefer to brew simply. Water, grain, hops, yeast, and occasionally some spice. That said, I do add Irish Moss,yeast nutrient, and oxygen so I guess I'm not such a purist after all.

For your consideration, from the AHS website (about 5 star defoamer - "similar to Fermcap"). The emphasis is mine.

Bottle with dropper.
Defoamer 105 is a 10% silicone food-grade emulsion designed to control foam. It is quick acting and disperses easily throughout the wort. Use in the brew pot while boiling the wort.
Usage: 1-2 drops per gallon. Do not exceed this dosage or your beer will exceed FDA limitations for silicon content.
CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed. Causes eye irritation.

BTW I found this thread because I'm tired of my starters boiling over in the flask. I do 2 liter starters in a 4 liter flask, and boilovers are common.

I have avoided using Fermcap because I don't want to add chemicals to my beer. I'm not a fanatic, I just prefer to brew simply. Water, grain, hops, yeast, and occasionally some spice. That said, I do add Irish Moss,yeast nutrient, and oxygen so I guess I'm not such a purist after all.

For your consideration, from the AHS website (about 5 star defoamer - "similar to Fermcap"). The emphasis is mine.

BTW I found this thread because I'm tired of my starters boiling over in the flask. I do 2 liter starters in a 4 liter flask, and boilovers are common.

fermcap and 5 star defoamer are two different ways of achieving the same outcome

Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but what is Fermcap, and where can I get this miracle product?!

It's some kind of silicone something or other. You add a few drops and it stops boilovers and blowoffs (huge krausen).

Buy it at Northern Brewer, or I'm betting AHS, Midwest, and all the others have similar products.

I also take back everything I said about it not working....Today I made NB's Saint Paul Porter, and after steeping the grains, brought it to a boil.....and before I even added any extract, it started to foam up. Hit it with a few drops of Fermcap, and foam was killed. Fermcap rules.

I have recently been using a spray bottle with simple H2O on the "mist" setting to pop the bubbles. Does the Fermcap effect the hot break in any way?
Dave

I have recently been using a spray bottle with simple H2O on the "mist" setting to pop the bubbles. Does the Fermcap effect the hot break in any way?
Dave

Dunno. My first batch, the hot break was pretty obvious, I think.....it went from really foamy to larger, faster popping bubbles in about 30 seconds, (after like 15-20 minutes of boiling, or something).

My last two boils, I've used Fermcap. And it's looked like "after" the hot break from the very beginning....Big, shiny bubbles that disappear right away, compared with the foamy, "guiness head" type bubbles that I had pre-hot break, pre-fermcap.

So, my short answer is: I can't tell when the hot break is anymore....

Back