Six little drops made such an improvement in my brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I used fermcap drops in my brewpot for the first time yesterday and wow what a difference it made. I typically boil 7 gallons in my 8 gallon brewpot and up till now I had to be very careful of boilovers. Not now. Just a few drops of fermcap allowed me to boil harder and I could not only turn my back on the boil but I was able to go about cleaning my MLT etc. instead of having to sit and watch and constantly adjust the flame. I think the fermcap saved me nearly half an hour overall. Great stuff

I did my first brew with Fermcap yesterday, too. Six drops in 6 gallons of wort in a 7 gallon turkey fryer. It was the first time I didn't have a boilover. It didn't even try to rise out of the pot. Awesome, awesome stuff.

I added another 5 drops when I transferred it into my fermenter. Not sure if it was necessary but I wanted to play it safe since it's my first time using a 6 gallon Better Bottle and don't want to risk a blowoff.

+1 on Fermcap. Just bought the stuff and it is AMAZING for starter and boilovers!
The last time I boiled my starter in a flask without FermcapS it turned into Mt. Vesuvius on my stovetop. Ye gods, what a mess. Two drops of FermcapS makes boilovers a thing of the past. It really is amazing! I won't brew without it any more.

-Joe

The last time I boiled my starter in a flask without FermcapS it turned into Mt. Vesuvius on my stovetop. Ye gods, what a mess. Two drops of FermcapS makes boilovers a thing of the past. It really is amazing! I won't brew without it any more.

-Joe

Unfortunately my stove is electric and i cant make a starter in the flask. But it does let me do an 1800 ml started in a 2000 ml without the krausen blowing out

God I can't say enough good things about Fermcap... Its probably the best thing ever on my brew day... And even though it was like $6 for a tiny vial of it... the thing lasts forever! Fermcap... I LOVE YOU! Lol

Threadjack: Does fermcap keep a krausen from forming at all in the fermenter? Man, I bet that looks weird. What would a wheat beer be without a 6" tall krausen?!?

Threadjack: Does fermcap keep a krausen from forming at all in the fermenter? Man, I bet that looks weird. What would a wheat beer be without a 6" tall krausen?!?
I used it in a braggot I did that was about 5 3/4 gallons in my 6 gallon Better Bottle. It still krausened and blew-off a little bit, but not as spectacular a blow-off as it could have been - the recipe called for 5tsp of yeast nutrient. When I read the bottle it recommends 1/2tsp per 5 gallon batch ;)

-Joe

I can't believe I waited so long before trying Fermcap... just recently started using it since I'm doing starters in a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask.

Now I won't brew without it.

-Steve

damn, that's a good question...I believe a krauzen still forms it just prevents it from foaming over....though I can't say I have ever paid attention to whether or not a krauzen actually forms or not...I'm pretty sure it does.

on another note, you know you are no-longer a fermcap boil newb, when you can go take a nap (or surf HBT in another room) between your 60 and 30 minute hop additions, with no worries....and loss of sleep. :D

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=5987p

This is the batch I brewed up yesterday. 6 drops of Fermcap in the boil and 5 drops in the fermenter:

8041d4d75c1b__1251713595000.jpg

b82eee9de9c8__1251713627000.jpg

This is using Wyeast 3711 in a Northern Brewer Petite Saison d'Ete Ale recipe.

I just tried this stuff yesterday. Wow. I'm very interested in seeing how the whole process plays out, but after seeing the foam drop when I added it, I knew it was going to work very well.

Unfortunately, my LHBS didn't have the drops. They didn't even know what it was. I explained what it was, but couldn't remember the name. He showed me a packet of stuff for wine, which says it's for fermentation. He looked it up and it said also good for boiling wort.

Well, I tried it and it was like magic. Now to contact him with the name and see if they can start stocking it.

I've used the powder too and it works well, it is much more expensive to use than the drops. I'd recommend adding it to your next online order.

Has anyone noticed increased hop utilization like they claim?

This stuff's not necessary for the boil, IMHO. I use First Wort Hops on all my beers and I never see boil overs. Something about the hops sitting in there seems to stop boil overs. At least for me!

Personally, I don't like adding extra stuff that's not necessary into my beer.

I add Fermcap to my erlenmeyer for starters... Fantastic. Used to boilover everytime or take me 20 mins to creep to a safe boil.

Also drop some in my kettle (with 6 stainless nuts) to keep boilovers controlled. Then I add some with a few mins left in the boil to control the krausen when fermenting.

Awesome, awesome stuff.

Since I moved to partial mash brewing, Fermcap has been a lifesaver as I always end up with a little more than four gallons of wort in my five gallon brewpot. No boilovers. :D

This stuff's not necessary for the boil, IMHO.

Maybe you just need a smaller pot. :)

Here's my batch from Saturday:

Here I have just transferred 7 gallons of wort into my 7.25 gallon pot to bring it to a boil.
pot_preboil.jpg

Here's the hot break starting to form. At this time, I skimmed as much as I could and added anti-foam drops.
pot_hot_break.jpg

And here it is finally coming to a boil.
pot_boiling.jpg

I am able to comfortably and confidently bring this to a rolling boil, thanks mostly (I think) to the addition of foam drops. I've tried just skimming the hot break material, and I still have to stand over the pot like a hawk and monitor the heat quite a bit when I don't use the anti-foam.

That one little addition allows me to RDWHAHB.
Here's my IPA that I enjoyed while I was happily letting my boil continue in the kitchen unwatched.
rdwhahb2.jpg

Maybe you just need a smaller pot. :)

Fair enough. For me, with my setup, though, I don't like to add stuff I don't need to to my beer. I know it's not for everybody, but I'd prefer to just have basic ingredients in my beer. I don't wanna use slaked lime to soften my water. Don't wanna add 5.2 stabilizer to my mash when I can just adjust my salts and grain to get it where it should be. Don't want anti foam drops either. For me, personally, this stuff is just not necessary.

+1 on the less is better, unless of course Polydimethylsiloxane sounds good to use.

+2. I have found that simply pointing a fan at the top of the kettle during boil does the trick for free (except electricity) and without adding anything extra. I read about that somewhere and tried it. Works wonderfully. I rigorously boil 15 gallons in my 15.5 gallon keggle without any issues.

From what I understand it will settle to the bottom and will remain in the boil pot when you rack.

There are all sorts of explanations of why all sorts of additives are safe or okay or good. Not saying it's not safe. But I don't see a real reason for using it, so I wouldn't add it. I think using basic, sound brewing technique generally makes a lot of additives unnecessary. People add all sorts of stuff to their beer that's not necessary. It's just not for me. And, some people here are putting into their fermenter too, so it's not left behind in the kettle.

Have a 7.25 gallon kettle with 7 gallons for a boil? Well then, sure, you might get a boil over. But have a 10 gallon kettle with 8.5 gallons in it? Add first wort hops and bam, no boil over. Easy. And you just added hops instead of some chemical or something.

I think its a bit strange to say you don't see the reason to use it. The usage is pretty obvious.

To me, other than opinion I have never seen any reason not to use it. Now, opinion and fear of the unknown are certainly good enough reasons, but they are definitely not scientifically or logically conclusive.

Actually, I would bet heavily that the presence of some of the additives in your beer even when "naturally" brewed are far more damaging than a couple drops of foam controller.

And if you think there are no additives in your beer, think again. The most prominent (and probably most dangerous/desired one) is ethanol. That is proven to be a pretty nasty chemical.

In fact, the more I think about this, I don't see how you can't think of beer as anything other than 100% additives - from the enzymes, starch, and proteins in the malt to the sodium calcium magnesium chloride etc. content of your water, to the actual yeast cells and certainly all the by-products of fermentation, and even the addition of CO2 for carbonation. I mean, without additives beer would be flavorless and certainly a lot less intoxicating.

Having said that, I don't want to be misquoted. I am not saying all additives are OK. I mean, if you put a gallon of bleach in your beer, that would probably be a bad thing. My point is that the controlled use a substance regarded as safe, for the purpose of improving the process of making beer seems to be a reasonable thing.

So I fail to see the connection between "additives" and a lower quality product.

In fact, the more I think about this, I don't see how you can't think of beer as anything other than 100% additives - from the enzymes, starch, and proteins in the malt to the sodium calcium magnesium chloride etc. content of your water, to the actual yeast cells and certainly all the by-products of fermentation, and even the addition of CO2 for carbonation. I mean, without additives beer would be flavorless and certainly a lot less intoxicating.

Don't forget about hops, everyone's favorite preservative. ;)

I've found that boil kettle geometry plays a big role in the likelihood of boilovers. Tall/narrow kettles boil over quite easily (including keggles), while short/fat kettles are easier to tame (to preempt the inevitable smartass remark, the same may be said for women). So, FermCap may make more sense for one brew rig than another. I've used it on small batches, and it works nicely, but I don't need it when using my 20 gallon MegaPot from Northern Brewer (even when it's VERY full).

I've found that boil kettle geometry plays a big role in the likelihood of boilovers. Tall/narrow kettles boil over quite easily (including keggles), while short/fat kettles are easier to tame (to preempt the inevitable smartass remark, the same may be said for women). So, FermCap may make more sense for one brew rig than another. I've used it on small batches, and it works nicely, but I don't need it when using my 20 gallon MegaPot from Northern Brewer (even when it's VERY full).

I think I need to test that out for myself, Please pack up that megapot and send it to me for testing.

So I fail to see the connection between "additives" and a lower quality product.

I didn't say there'd be a lower quality product. And I knew some people would react like "how dare you question the science!?!?!".

I don't think it's necessary. And I'll just refer back to what I've already written. Add hops to your kettle before you start your runoff and you get no boil over. Easy.

The LHBS guy said that he heard to add a couple of hops to the kettle BEFORE it boils, and something in the hops helps prevent boil-overs. I didn't try it this time, wanting to see if the anti-foam agent would help. I'd be curious to see how much a few hops pellets can help.

I'm usually against anything extra in my beer as well, and have put off using the drops for several batches since I first heard of it, but my filled-to-the-brim turkey fryer has made it frustrating to brew, so I thought I'd try it.

Maybe next time I'll give the hops pellets a try. Doesn't first wort hops require more hops per recipe?

The LHBS guy said that he heard to add a couple of hops to the kettle BEFORE it boils, and something in the hops helps prevent boil-overs. I didn't try it this time, wanting to see if the anti-foam agent would help. I'd be curious to see how much a few hops pellets can help.

I'm usually against anything extra in my beer as well, and have put off using the drops for several batches since I first heard of it, but my filled-to-the-brim turkey fryer has made it frustrating to brew, so I thought I'd try it.

Maybe next time I'll give the hops pellets a try. Doesn't first wort hops require more hops per recipe?

No. You just move a portion of your aroma hops to the beginning, adding them before you add any wort, then let them steep in there as you runoff into the kettle. If you Google it you can find more info on it. But it's not some arcane or difficult technique. Just put your bittering hops in there before you runoff. For me, that stops boil overs.

Fermcap is used in largescale craft brewery applications so I don't see why we should worry about using it in our boils... so far every beer that I've done with Fermcap has come out great... I can't speak on better hop utilization as I use a hop bag... But its so nice to be able to start your boil with a 60 min hop addition and then go inside and watch some TV or make a sanwich and come out and then put in the next one... And go about your business... Its freaking great for me since I'm so lazy...

damn, that's a good question...I believe a krauzen still forms it just prevents it from foaming over....though I can't say I have ever paid attention to whether or not a krauzen actually forms or not...I'm pretty sure it does.

on another note, you know you are no-longer a fermcap boil newb, when you can go take a nap (or surf HBT in another room) between your 60 and 30 minute hop additions, with no worries....and loss of sleep. :D

Amen to that

I didn't say there'd be a lower quality product. And I knew some people would react like "how dare you question the science!?!?!".

I don't think it's necessary. And I'll just refer back to what I've already written. Add hops to your kettle before you start your runoff and you get no boil over. Easy.

My issue is not with the science of it being safe. I don't think there needs to be any discussion about that. Even if there was 100% solid foolproof evidence that it was safe, people would still not use the drops. Most of the time is has little to do with science.

My issue is not even with people not wanting to use it. That is totally fine.

My problem is with the mindset that not "adding" stuff to your beer makes it somehow better. This line of thinking is not conclusive for anything other than opinion and preference. Which, again, is perfectly fine.

My concern over the discussion is not so much that an opinion was expressed, but moreso that some people will read this and think its better to not use foam controller, when it is perfectly OK to use it.

And I think "necessary" is subjective (although it would be best to avoid discussion of definitions similar to those going on in other threads). Honestly, I find that it is just as necessary to add the drops as any of the other steps I follow when brewing.

And even if there were methods to prevent boilover they do not apply to the use of foam controller in the fermenter.

And I didn't use lots of exclamation points...haha.

Nice. Really. Thanks for not yelling. I hate when people get so passionate about stuff that they fight over it. Yes, like in the other thread.

My point with this whole thing is that myself, and perhaps some others, don't *want* to add extraneous things into our beer. You don't see it as extraneous which is fine. I do. For me personally, with the way I brew and the way my setup is, I see no benefit to using foam control. So for me, it's extraneous. If I can find a way to make something work without adding extra things into my beer, then I will. If I had some major issue with boilovers or foaming, then I might think differently.

But the fact is that for me, simply adding hops to the kettle before the runoff prevents boilovers 100% of the time. And I'd rather add hops to my beer than foam control drops. Personal preference.

People who are new to brewing should know that they don't *need* to use foam control drops to avoid a boilover. Maybe if they're doing a starter in a flask, sure. But in the main kettle, just first wort hop.

Anyway, thanks for being civil. To me, brewing is art. So this is like we're discussing art. Which to me is fun.

Thanks to some advice from Brewtopia, I've been just throwing a tiny handful of cone hops on the foam when I'm worried about boilover. I don't much understand why it works even after the hops get wet but it does.

Nothing against fermcap though, seems like a neat product!

Nice. Really. Thanks for not yelling. I hate when people get so passionate about stuff that they fight over it. Yes, like in the other thread.

My point with this whole thing is that myself, and perhaps some others, don't *want* to add extraneous things into our beer. You don't see it as extraneous which is fine. I do. For me personally, with the way I brew and the way my setup is, I see no benefit to using foam control. So for me, it's extraneous. If I can find a way to make something work without adding extra things into my beer, then I will. If I had some major issue with boilovers or foaming, then I might think differently.

But the fact is that for me, simply adding hops to the kettle before the runoff prevents boilovers 100% of the time. And I'd rather add hops to my beer than foam control drops. Personal preference.

People who are new to brewing should know that they don't *need* to use foam control drops to avoid a boilover. Maybe if they're doing a starter in a flask, sure. But in the main kettle, just first wort hop.

Anyway, thanks for being civil. To me, brewing is art. So this is like we're discussing art. Which to me is fun.

OK. I'm good with that. Some people like them and some people don't.

This is really going on a tangent, but I think its an important point. Not only is brewing an art, but so is having a discussion - especially a text discussion on a message board.

When I read things or post things I always think about the fact the these posts will be around for a long time for people to read and search through. My goal is not to get anyone to agree with one side or the other, but merely to make sure that everything is presented as thoughtful opinion and preference.

My motivation behind this is that across three hobbies and several forums, I have been led astray many times by one sided posts that convinced me to waste time and money following things I read on forums that turned out to be incorrect. Now, there is very little monetary risk in using or not using foam controller drops, but I try to be very careful to try to make sure that there is enough checks and balances in these kinds of discussions (or at least the ones that I know enough to participate in).

OK, so I was pumped to boil with Fermcap this past monday. I had 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer....put in 10 drops of fermcap......and everything went great until I dumped in my 60 minute hop addition, (1 oz of pelletized Sterling 7% AA) (I believe after the hot break, tougher to tell with the fermcap).....aaaaand boilover :eek: .

Oh well, I guess the stuff isn't bullet proof. Honestly I didn't really notice a difference between fermcapped and nonfermcapped boils....:confused:

From my experiences FWH has zero impact on boil over potential. I have a small brew pot, and FWH or not I still have to be very careful to avoid boilovers.

OK, so I was pumped to boil with Fermcap this past monday. I had 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer....put in 10 drops of fermcap......and everything went great until I dumped in my 60 minute hop addition, (1 oz of pelletized Sterling 7% AA) (I believe after the hot break, tougher to tell with the fermcap).....aaaaand boilover :eek: .

Oh well, I guess the stuff isn't bullet proof. Honestly I didn't really notice a difference between fermcapped and nonfermcapped boils....:confused:

Well, that's your problem! You had 6.5 gallons of wort, and they suggest 2 drops per gallon. You needed another 3 drops to avoid boilover! :)

I have found that adding hops is a good way to induce a boilover. I have no scientific reason to give other than maybe nucleation points maybe. I have started adding them a bit at a time instead of all at once. Once they get broke up and saturated with hot wort, they settle back down.

Well, that's your problem! You had 6.5 gallons of wort, and they suggest 2 drops per gallon. You needed another 3 drops to avoid boilover! :)

I have found that adding hops is a good way to induce a boilover. I have no scientific reason to give other than maybe nucleation points maybe. I have started adding them a bit at a time instead of all at once. Once they get broke up and saturated with hot wort, they settle back down.

I am not sure how serious this comment was about the dosage, but when I first started using foam controller I had read about how potent it was and that you could get away with only 1 drop per gallon. I found that not to be true - so now I use the full 2 drops per gallon with much more success.

Before using foam controller drops, adding my hops to the boiling wort was a nightmare. Now, after suing the correct dosage, I have no problems at all.

There was another post a while back of a guy who was using a full dropper amount per gallon. That might be a bit excessive.

Back