sitting 10 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikhild59

Reaction score
So i brewed a rye pa in january, is it garbage? Its been covered and at fairly even temps. And i kept the airlock filled. O.g. approx 1.060..ive never let one go this long..

All I'll say is I did this with a rye pale ale and it tasted like sherry. Totally because I kept 4.75gallons in a 6.5 gallon Carboy

All I'll say is I did this with a rye pale ale and it tasted like sherry.

The sherry taste would suggest oxidization. If you had kept this one airtight with a good CO2 layer, it likely would have been fine.

Soooo, I hope you get back to us eventually and tell us how it tastes. I have never let a brew go that long w/o bottling...

Yea, regardless for an IPA you NEED NEED NEED dry hops to get that aroma back after such a long sit. Report back though, but STAY SAFE in the storm.

Yea, regardless for an IPA you NEED NEED NEED dry hops to get that aroma back after such a long sit. Report back though, but STAY SAFE in the storm.

Or you could brew another batch and then blend them. I am hoping to develop an IPA recipe using this approach very soon... A long-aged high-ABV bruiser with a younger, fresher, hop-bursted counterpart. Blend and serve.

Ok..finally bottling. Tastes good so im going for it. May be a tad dry, but im ok with that. I did dose it with a pack of us05 to speed up the process. Will repost with finals...

Drinking the first bottle. Tastes good, although i think ill let the rest of the bottles condition at room temp a few more days, then fridge for a week. :)

Back