Siphoning into bottling bucket... question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So, looks like fermenting is about to end soon on my first brew (Yay!). However, the krausen never really settled. There's a huge thick foam layer on top of my beer.

When I decide to rack it to my bucket, what's the best method to not get that crap in my final beer?

Thanks!

Usually the krausen does fall back in (well, for me anyway). How long has it been in the fermenter for?

A racking cane will syphon from the bottom of the fermenter hopefully leaving the krausen and trub behind.

When I decide to rack it to my bucket, what's the best method to not get that crap in my final beer?

By waiting longer. if the krausen is still there, chances are you're looking to bottle way too early. Give it at least 2 weeks in the primary, but 3-4 weeks is better.

how did you determine that your fermentation is almost over?

By waiting longer. if the krausen is still there, chances are you're looking to bottle way too early. Give it at least 2 weeks in the primary, but 3-4 weeks is better.

how did you determine that your fermentation is almost over?

By taking Hydrometer readings. It's at 1.015. It's near where the FG should be, and has been fermenting for near 2 weeks. I don't plan on bottling until the FG sits at the same level for 3 consecutive days.

The kraeusen is telling you the yeast are still doing something. Leave it alone, and when it has dropped leave it another week. It will be cleaner tasting (the yeast clean up a lot of their by-products after the main fermentation is over), and it will be clearer (you will get less yeast in the bottle, and less chance for it to get in the glass).

It's worth the wait.

Back